I can't access my documents anymore

Discussion in 'Software' started by ajax1, Jul 30, 2005.

1. ajax1

ajax1 Private E-2

Hi there,

I took over my computer from my company and have full admin rights. When I set up my internet connection I re-mapped and now I can't access 'my documents' link anymore. I am sure all the files are still there, I just can't access them.

I attach the screen shot of the notification, can you help or direct me to a help source?

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. bchivers

bchivers Private First Class

You might want to try this.

START > RUN > REGEDIT >

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / Explorer / DocFolderPaths

Once you click the DocFolderPaths folder you should see all the user's folders.

STEP 2:

Add a new string value

Value Name: your user name

Value Data: the path to your docs folder ( ex. C:\Documents and Settings\your docs folder )

Exit Registry editor and open my computer, your docs folder should now be visable.

3. ajax1

ajax1 Private E-2

doesn't work

After HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE there is no Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / Explorer / DocFolderPaths

HELP!!!!!!

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Do you have an IP address? Is demumsw01 powered on? Does it have an IP address? Is the share still on? Do you still have correct share and NTFS permissions to the location? Try to ping demumsw01.

Oh, and you must have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths. If you don't, then your registry is damaged. Or you're not running Windows 2000 or XP.

Wait. Have you moved this PC? Was it once at the office and now it's at home? You won't have access to any of the network resources at home that you do at work unless you have a VPN or another specilized connection set up.

5. bchivers

How far did you get?

6. bchivers

Silly question,did you push the + on the left side of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?

7. ajax1

ajax1 Private E-2

OK, lesson learned, never try to solve issues after a good night drinking.

I found the string when i was sober :cool: , but i guess you're right, i have to be on the network to solve this. i will visit my old company and ask the helpdesk to support me

thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds