Vista loses wireless network connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smilinggeek, Feb 19, 2009.

1. smilinggeek

smilinggeek Private E-2

System. Acer laptop (Acer Aspire 7730)
    O/S: Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1.
    Wireless router: DLink mumblemumble (sry, don't have it handy)

This one has me stumped. Intermittently Vista will refuse to allow applications to use the working wireless network connection. It has happened once while I was there (usually happens to the other person using the computer). Other computers using the same wireless network are not affected. This is the only 64bit Vista being used right now, the others being a mix of WinXP, Vista32, and Win98 (legacy app).

Just on this system, applications needing network access are occasionally denied and time out. No O/S messages appear on the screen when this happens, but the apps sure complain! However, the network status in lower left corner shows that the system has a local and internet connection, even while applications are timing out on network access.

The system usually comes back on its own in a few minutes. Also, disconnecting and reconnecting to the network resets it immediately.

Any ideas of what's wrong? Any of where I should go looking for clues? I'm not all that clued up on Vista so far.

2. smilinggeek

smilinggeek Private E-2

Addendum: Signal strength is 5/5 at all times.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds