Hard wired computer loses internet connection but not wireless?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcduke, Feb 15, 2012.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I had another post where I would lose my connection to the internet, both my hard wired and wireless computer. I would have to reset the router and then restart my computer in order to reconnect, but I would only have to restart the hardwired computer in order to reconnect, not the wireless computer. I purchased another router (the Belkin N600 on sale of course). For the most part this worked and now my wireless has no more problems.
    However; my hardwired computer will still lose connection sometimes and I would have to restart it to reconnect. The wireless computer stays connected though. It just happened again and I tried to connect to my router and could not (got the message not found). Now I've used the cmd ipconfig/ all and printed out the page (while I was connected) so that the next time I have a disconnect I could compare it to when I lost connection. It just happened so while I was disconnected I tried the cmd ipconfilg/ all and the info was the same as when I could connect to the internet. I'm confused :confused I would think that the info from the ipconfig/ all while connected would be different then when I lost connection.
    The motherboard I have is the EVGA nForce 780i SLI which has 2 lan connection built into it. I'm going to try and plug in the cat5 cable into the other plug and see whats happens, but I think that's futile since they probably both work off the same chips that provide the built in lan connection. In the mean time I would appreciate any input from you guys. Does this mean my motherboard is going bad. I haven't had any other problems. Thanks

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Check that your LAN drivers are up to date from the EVGA support site. This may involve chipset drivers depending on how EVGA does their drivers.
    Also check that any variable power settings or Wake On Lan settings (WOL) are disabled in the properties of the network adapters.

3. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Well I did everything you suggested so now I just wait and see if I get disconnected again. It's been pretty much a daily event so I'll let you know if I still have a problem. Thanks:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds