Convert m4p to mp3 files

Discussion in 'Software' started by SeaDragon, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaDragon

SeaDragon Private E-2

I just switched cell phones, iPhone to Samsung Galaxy SIII 'Droid. I have lots of apple m4p files which work fine on the iPhone, but will not transfer to the new phone. Are there any good DRM convertors out there? I have tried Audials 10, ConverterLite, audials came highly recommended but (within its trial guidlines) would not convert a file.

I know I can burn to CD and then rip the CD, but it is costly, tedious, and time consuming to go through nearly 2 dozen CDs.

Help! :banghead

Thanks!

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

3. SeaDragon

SeaDragon Private E-2

Nick, first thanks for the quick reply. It was helpful, but I didn't realize all of these programs require you to play the song to convert it. Not a bad thing, but would require a copy on my computer, my wife's computer, my daughter's computer, ... It turns out that to convert and move to the android phones it will be cheaper to burn and rip physical discs.

I learned something so definitely not a wasted exercise. Thanks again for your help.

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

You're very welcome buddy.

5. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but your issue is that m4p is Apple's format for DRM restricted music. If you can purchase or convert to m4a, that is Apple's DRM-free format, although obviously mp3 is more universally compatible, IMO.

You are correct that most converters will only convert in "real time", i.e. a copy of the music as the music is playing...what us "old-timers" referred to as "dubbing" in the old days, LOL. I'm not sure if iTunes will allow for conversion from m4p to m4a directly within iTunes, but most media players will also play m4a files, FWIW. In the absence of an m4p>m4a conversion ability, the least-cost method is probably to create a playlist of all your m4p music and burn to cd; then rip from cd into iTunes as mp3 files.

About 5-6 years ago, I have already gone through exactly what you're experiencing right now, and it's a huge PITA!!! I was never an iTunes fan, for several reasons, but after solving this issue, I banished iTunes from this house (including my children) and found alternative music vendors and alternative media managers. I wish I had someone to talk me through it back then, but I had to figure it out as a guinea pig.

Here's what I used, that worked for my situation:
    http://www.daniusoft.com/tutorial/m4p-converter.html

I think Daniusoft has been purchased by Aimersoft, or perhaps it's a name change, as the software looks eerily similar. But I puchased Daniusoft software, loaded onto 1 machine, pointed Daniusoft to the iTunes music directory, and allowed Daniusoft to automatically locate DRM files (it was also able to locate Zune DRM .wav files, which have the same extension as DRM-free .wav files!). With all files explicitly identified as a DRM-playlist, I converted everything in a single batch. It wasn't quick, but it wasn't real-time either! Once I verified that converted mp3 files played fine, I deleted all instances of m4p files.

With one machine finished, I uninstalled Daniusoft, then reinstalled on the next machine (Daniusoft requires a license entry to work). Repeated the process for the 2nd machine. Then uninstalled and repeated for a 3rd, 4th, and 5th machine, respectively. If you have 3 machines or less, perhaps you can authorize the DRM m4p files to all play on the machine with Daniusoft? But for me, it was just easier and cleaner to install, uninstall, and reinstall on different machines.

With everything in an m4a or mp3 format, I switched out iTunes for Banshee, which is the best option for me, according to my tastes & preferences. http://banshee.fm/ I like the built-in Amazon MP3 store, which allows me to purchase music from Amazon without ever leaving the Banshee media player software. With the Amazon MP3 store plugin, it's basically iTunes for ALL devices, without the hassles of the iTunes store. IMO, this is the best solution; it certainly was for ME!

Some other folks have also posted solutions here, and I don't want to discredit their posts, as I'm sure they work fine. But there's more than 1 way to skin a cat (whatever that means? who skins cats?), and this is the way that worked for me 100%...start to finish. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds