"aquiring network address" broadband connection problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by teejay11, Oct 5, 2005.

1. teejay11

teejay11 Private E-2

First post, so I'm seeking opinions as much as help I guess. I have a 3yo hp compaq pressario pc, with plenty of memory available etc. It works fine on my dial-up connection, but simply won't hold a broadband connection, either on the usb or ethernet cables. It drops out all the time and i get the 'aquiring network address" message, while it reconnects.

I have had all the help my isp can provide (they have been great, btw) and have used hp's online help service. I've installed a new network card, have tried firewall off, etc. It's all been done.

My question - is it possible that a 3yo pc is just not gonna be compatable with a brand new broadmand modem?

Thanks, in advance, for any ideas.

2. bubbles

bubbles Private E-2

By the sounds of it, the issue is with your broadband modem or service. However, your PC should be able to support it without any issues. Before contacting your ISP and asking them to replace the modem, try a different ethernet cable between your modem and your PC. If possible, also try the modem on a different PC and see if it experiences the same issue. Another thing to try is lowering the speed/duplex of your network card to 10/Half. If you go into device manager, then into the properties of your card, there's usually an option for this under the Advanced tab. Sometimes this is referred to as speed/duplex mode, media type, etc. Just go through until you find it.

3. teejay11

teejay11 Private E-2

Thanks bubbles. I forgot to mention that the broadband connectio nweorks just fine on my company laptop, so i think the problem must be with my home pc.

I'll try the advice you provided and let you know via this forum.

many thanks.

4. teejay11

teejay11 Private E-2

Sorry bubbles, no go :(

I tried adjusting the seting to 10/ha;f, but the drop-out is still happening.

Might be time for a new 'puter perhaps?:)

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

6. teejay11

teejay11 Private E-2

*Sigh*. Thanks cat5e, but no luck.

Still dropping the connection, then reconnecting right away.

The settings are the same as on my company-provided laptop and I used tghe laptop some days after I first set up the broadband connection on my home computer.

Naive as I am about computers, I'm starting to think that a 3yo unit might just be far enough behind in technology to need updating by now.

7. bubbles

bubbles Private E-2

A 3 year old PC should work fine with broadband. If you've checked with your ISP to ensure that you do not need to register your MAC address, then you likely need a new network card in your PC. They are cheap, usually ranging between $10-$15.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds