upgrade help needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unclebear89, Dec 15, 2006.

1. unclebear89

unclebear89 Private E-2

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and was wondering If you could help me figure out a couple of things? I just bought a Compaq 1820nx pc and I would like to upgrade the audio. It now has Realtek ALC883 built in and I would like to go to a Soundblaster Audigy SE but I am not sure if it is any better than what I have. I would also like to upgrade the video. The current video is GForce 6150 LE. Would the GForce MX4000 be better? If niether card would be better what would you suggest? Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thank you

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

For audio, an Audigy 2 Value is a great card for a budget machine.

As for the video, an MX4000 is not as good as the 6150. Do you know if you have a PCI-Express slot or an AGP slot? That is a new video chipset so i think you should have a PCI-E slot in there. A 7600GT is a great budget card for PCI-E but your PSU (power supply unit) may not be powerful enough. A 6800GS would be good too, even a 6600GT or 6600 if you arent planning on playing the newest games at the highest visual settings. Ill check the Compaq site for specs when i have more time.

3. unclebear89

unclebear89 Private E-2

Thanks for the help! My biggest concern with my video is that I bought a 19" widescreen monitor and I just want the best affordable graphics I can get. I don't play games at all, dut I do watch videos. My new monitor also has an extra cable for dvi and my pc has no hookup for it. Thanks for the help.

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

what is it thats making you want to upgrade your video? If you arent a gamer (which you arent) then the 6150 SHOULD be enough...If not, something like a 6600 would be good, even a 6200 or 7300.

by the way, welcome to the site :cool: :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds