connects to internet, but error messages won't let surf

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stansnet, Dec 30, 2004.

1. stansnet

stansnet Private E-2

have win 98
    just ran adaware ans spybot
    after spy bot, had these problems so did a restore, but problems wont go away (spybot deleted over 300 files)

Ie, netscape and firefox all have same problem

these are the messages
    IE exception code oxcoooooo5
    addr oxoooooooooo77109b

netscape invalid page fault at 0000:022f141c

Mozilla
    wuloader- illegal oper
    wucrtupd- illegal oper

any suggestions would be appreciated

2. 44039

44039 Private First Class

I would suspect that you have a virus or worm such as W32/Ticton-A.

Here's a brief description (also check McAfee and Symantec websites for more info, and removal details).

McAfee's Description ....

W32.Ticton.A, a mass-mailing worm harvests addresses from a number of sources, spreads over mapped network drives and accessible Windows shares, and can insert propagation code into existing HTML documents to spread through IIS.

W32/Ticton-A is an email worm that arrives in an email with a variety of subject lines and message bodies all in Spanish. The attachment to the email may have one of the following filenames:

downloadme.exe
    LEEME.exe
    ley lssi.pdf.exe
    ley.txt.exe
    os.txt.exe
    resumen.txt.exe
    Rg2catdb.exe
    texto de la lssice.txt.exe
    texto.txt.exe
    www.mcyt.es.exe
    www.putalssi.es.exe
    www.senado.lssice.es.exe

When the worm is first run a message box will be displayed containing Spanish text that begins "NO A LA LSSI". The full text will be dropped to the file C:\Windows\lssice_info.txt. Two other text files will also be created in the Windows folder, named i-worm_info.txt and no_a_la_LSSICE.txt.

A copy of the worm may be created in the Windows folder with the filename wucrtupd.exe and the following registry entry will be created with the intention of running the worm when Windows starts up:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\
    CriticalUpdate = <Windows>\wucrtupd.exe

Good Luck!
    Scott
    http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

3. stansnet

stansnet Private E-2

i am going to try to remove the wucrtupd.exe
    as well as download accelerator and webhancerAgent adware i found in the regedit
    ill respond after thanks

by the way i noticed i have no commands listed in config.sys or autoexec.bat folders in msconfig

could these have been lost in a spybot sweep or by a virus? unfortunately,I had no backup file.

could this create browser probs, can i add values to help this?

thanks

4. 44039

44039 Private First Class

No, that wouldn't be causing any browser issues. Those files are only there for older apps that require them. AUTOEXEC.BAT hasn't been needed since Win3.11 (I think?). If they are empty, then that's ok.

Scott

http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

5. stansnet

stansnet Private E-2

ran a few scans and deleted CWS virus that had hijacked my browser. Everything is working weel

thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds