Cannot Run 3dmark06

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IanTheGeek, Jun 10, 2006.

1. IanTheGeek

IanTheGeek Private First Class

hey everyone!

I just got a new PSU, and for some reaso, I cannot run 3dmark06. It will either freeze up right before the first cpu test, or it won't make it through the last shaders test without freezing. one of the times that it froze i got the BSOD, and it listed something about "nv4 display"

I have 2 7900 GTX's in SLI the PSU has plenty of amps for both cards, and i downloaded the "84.21_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql" driver from nvidia.

any thoughts?

Oh yeah, and I played battlefiled 2 for about half an hour with no issues at all.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Looks like one or both of your cards are overheating BSOD relating to nv4 is either to large an overclock,too high temps or too little voltage

You aint half having some trouble with this system Ian:(,have you monitored both cards temps during the benchmark,download riva tuner

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=737

click the custmomize tab under target adapter,in the next menu click the manifying glass,this is a hardware monitor that will monitor both cards temps and save the results to file IN REAL TIME if the benchmark crashes the file will have the last recorded temp of both cards,to start recording to file click the floppy disk icon at the bottom,its now recording,then run the bechmark

After the crash and I assume you'v reset the computer open riva tuner hardware monitor again,click the file icon next to the disk,open the file,the temperatures during the benchmark will now be displayed,if you move the cursor along the graphs the temperature will be displayed in figures :)

I'v gone long winded through riva tuner because it can be a pain to navigate if you havnt used it before :)

3. IanTheGeek

thanks rikky, the temps could very well be a problem, I have a TV tuner under the second card which almost completely covers the heatsync and fan. Maybe I should buy an external TV Tuner. Have any other thoughts on how to cool the cards? I'll run that program as soon as I get home

4. IanTheGeek

Okay, So I got my GPU temps: they idle at about 65 degrees celcius, and peak somewhere around 80 I think... I assume this is my problem?? I've got a TT BigWater 745 cooling system with and additional radiator on it... if I install the Thermaltake CL-W0038 Waterblock, do you think that this will help???

5. Rikky

6. Rikky

Sorry for the very late post I'm suprised no one else has helped you out:confused: Those temps are within spec Ian with air cooling,I'm not sure have you installed water blocks on your vid cards yet?If so those temps are way too high for water

Unfortunatley havnt had any experience with SLI I'm still using a single 6800gt AGP if this is an SLI problem we'll have to look into a specific SLI prob which could be down to driver,hardware or a single system setting It'll take us quite a bit of searching;) ,the nv4 BSOD is an indicator of an ill video card,which can be caused by too little voltage,too much voltage,too much overclocking or overheating,all must be eliminated,first double check all extra power connectors for your vid cards are connected and the extra pci-e power jack is connected to the motherboard,overheating is a good place to start go back to a having a single video card installed and test each individually you may be overheating the card due to their close proximity to each other run 3dmark 05 or 06 on loop 5times over using the Riva tuner to record temps on each seperate card,save the files and compare the two video cards temps when running only one if the cards are overheating when running in SLI individually they will be cooler

In the mean time I'll search for problem while running your specific video cards in SLI that relates to the NV4 BSOD :)

P.S I typed this post first and forgot to post it :rolleyes: :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds