HP Keyboard not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mystic97, Feb 7, 2009.

1. mystic97

mystic97 Private E-2

My cousin owns a HP computer running Win98, that shes having trouble with. She knows very little about computers, she knows how to turn it on, and surf the internet and that is about it (not exagerating)

I have tried using a different HP Keyboard with the same results.

Ive tried everything I can possibly think of. The problem is, the keyboard stops working just a few moments after the computer is turned on. You can reboot, and the keyboard again works just a few minutes then nothing.

These are the things I have tried
    Changing HP Keyboards with same results
    Installing CCleaner and running that
    Installing System Mechanic and running that
    Scanned for viruses
    Checked for Win updates
    Checked for keyboard drivers, said I had the newest
    Ive done a defrag and scan disc both, of which I had to go into safe mode to get them to work.

She thought it started when she was playing a loaded game from CD on the computer. Which I removed

Problem is she doesnt have the Win98 disc so I cant reformat. Thats always my answer lol

Im not sure if I uninstall the keyboard from the device manager if when the computer reboots if it will ask me for the Win98 disc, so haven't tried that, or if it would even do any good

I'm lost, I don't know what else to try

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Try to download the drivers from Hp's site, or microsoft site, save them to the desk top. like you said go to device manager delete the drivers when the computer reboots point it to the new drivers on your desktop, install them and see if that helps.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

At bootup press something like F1 or F2 to enter the BIOS. Make sure that the PS/2 port is enabled for a keyboard. It sounds like the port is either faulty or gets turned off.

Also try a non-HP keyboard (any generic should do). An HP computer doesn't need an HP keyboard to type. You only need it if you use the extra buttons.

4. mystic97

mystic97 Private E-2

great thank you both very much, will try both of those things. She lives about 20 miles from me so it will be awhile till I get back there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds