Canon PIXMA MP600 won't print

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sierra, Sep 28, 2010.

1. sierra

sierra Private First Class

After unplugging some power cords and plugging them back in correctly, I noticed my printer would not work. I am getting the following message. The device may be incompatible. Remove the device and check the manual supplied with the connected device.

I have nothing connected to the printer and haven't had anything connected to the printer.

On the desktop screen it says A digital camera or device that is not supported by the direct printing function is connected to the direct print port. Disconnect the cable from the direct print port. What is the direct print port? I am very confused. I have checked all cords and unplugged and plugged things back in. Also, rebooted computer several times. Same error message. Windows XP Pro SP3. :confused
    Thank you for your assistance.

2. sierra

I did notice in the device manager that the Network Controller has a yellow question mark. Is this related?

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Could very well be related - what's the make and model # of your machine?

4. sierra

I did reinstall Network Controller and it did nothing to help. I don't need that particular network anyway.
    It is a Dell Dimension 4500 if that helps.

5. Caliban

Doubt this a problem with the Dell, although a reinstall of any Canon drivers might confirm.

I'm not a printer guy, so maybe some of the gurus here will pitch in. Sounds like something got changed when you originally unplugged/plugged the power cable(s) - the machine was off when you unplugged, correct?

Have you connected a camera to the port in the past? You might try forcing the issue - plug a camera in, see if your symptoms change.

6. Caliban

I take it you're not using the printer as a wireless device?

7. sierra

I do share this with my wireless laptop in another room. This printer is hooked up to my desktop.

8. sierra

You're awesome! I haven't plugged anything into the printer, but did as you said and plugged in a camera. The printer is now working. Thank you soooooooooo much! I surely appreciate your help.

9. Caliban

We got lucky - glad it's up and running. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds