Windows XP networking question

Discussion in 'Software' started by nazpastor, Feb 10, 2005.

1. nazpastor

nazpastor Private E-2

A quick question. Can Windows XP Home version be networked together with Professional so that a common printer can be used by both computers?

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

3. nazpastor

nazpastor Private E-2

Well, now then I have to figure out why it's not working. :rolleyes:

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Give us some info, specs, how the PC's are networked & how is the printer connected?
    Should be simple to setup, tell us what you did to try to setup.

5. nazpastor

nazpastor Private E-2

I have a Dell laptop with Windows XP home version and a Dell desktop with Windows XP Professional. I also have an HP Pavilion with Windows XP Professional on it. I have them all connected via a Belkin 4-port hub, running a cable modem supplying internet access to all of the computers. I have an inkjet printer connected to the Dell desktop and want to network the other two so that I can print from all three. I have run the Windows XP network setup on all three computers. The laptop sees the other two computers, but the two with XP professional do not see the laptop. They see each other though. When I try to print from the Dell desktop, it works fine. When I try to print from the other two, I get an error and troubleshooter can't seem to help me out. It directs me to network troubleshooter and that says it can't ping the network. I also set the printer to share in the printer setup. I have logged off and re-booted all of the computers and something just isn't working for me. I had thought that it was the different XP versions. Any suggestions?

6. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

XP Pro and Home have no such incompatibilities-- Pro is the same OS as Home, but with some additional features. For a computer to be "seen" on the network, a resource-- be it a drive or just a folder-- must be shared. Same with printers-- you must elect to share it for it to be accessible by other machines on the LAN. If the printer is shared, it's a simple matter of going into Control Panel -> Printers & Faxes -> Add a new Printer, and browse to the printer on the other machine on the LAN to which it is connected. But first you must go to the printer's Properties and choose to share it.

7. dedub

dedub Corporal

I would also ensure that all three computers are on the same *workgroup*. This can and will keep other computers from seeing each other unless you know how to get around it.

Good Luck

8. nazpastor

nazpastor Private E-2

Thanks, that did it. You guys are an awesome resource. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds