Windows Update Error Help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by bug, Dec 21, 2005.

1. bug

bug Private E-2

I downloaded windows update for Net Framework version 1.1 SP1, but couldn't install. I looked in my add/remove and found it there, however windows kept saying I needed to install that update. Someone suggested I unintsall from my control panel and then try again. Well when I try to uninstall, it says This action is only valid for products that are currently installed. The little icon is saying I have something waiting to install is on my taskbar. I have an application driver/recovery in my computer which makes anything easy to install, if I have to. I am a novice. Thanks

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hi Bug,

Is this the error? Error 1605: "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed" ?

Steve

3. bug

bug Private E-2

Matacumbie, it doesn't have the # in the box, but that is what it says when I try to uninstall, This action is not valid etc. I wouldn't have even thought anything was wrong, but my windows update keeps saying I need to install the Net Framework Version 1.1 SP1. I was surprised the little icon still stays on my taskbar when I saw that it Net framework was in my add/remove programs like I had already installed it. Someone told me that something might be damaged when it was installed and that is why I keep getting prompted that I still have the update left.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

5. bug

bug Private E-2

When I click on the little update icon on my taskbar it now says KB886903-X96.exe The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the windows installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try step A in the link. I'm not sure about the second message you are getting.

Steve

7. bug

bug Private E-2

I installed the WIndows installer cleanup, but I don't see the Net Framework listed. So I guess I would do B instead, only I am not sure what I type in for the MS-Dos Prompt. I am such a dummy with this.

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

To get a DOS prompt in Windows XP, Start > Run , type in CMD and click OK .

Steve

9. bug

bug Private E-2

Be patient with me and don't think me too stupid. I got the Dos prompt, I am not sure what to type in.

10. bug

bug Private E-2

one more question. What if I just go to system restore and get rid of the download of Net Framework and then try to reinstall the windows update?

11. I was gonna say that! Give system restore a shot and restore to before the update was installed, then load installshield, then put the update back on.
    -the new tech guy

12. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Sorry Bug, had to get off a minute.

Yeah, I agree with you both. That might be a better option for now. I am just not sure about the second message you are getting and don't want to try something I'm not sure about.

Steve

13. bug

bug Private E-2

Okay another stupid question. What's the installshield? Sorry.

14. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Bug,

I finally found the steps you need to take, had alot going on last night and couldn't spend much time on the board. I think if you follow the steps below (you have done some of them) you will be able to install the Net Framework version 1.1 SP1 without any other issues.

Let us know.

Steve

15. bug

bug Private E-2

Matacumbie, thank you so much for all your help. You have been great taking the time to find out the solution. Thanks again, I would have gone crazy if it hadn't been for you. Happy Holidays! And thanks for being so patient with a ditz like me. :)

16. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

17. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Glad to help. :)

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds