Realtek onboard LAN Driver problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Butchtaylor909, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butchtaylor909

Butchtaylor909 Private E-2

when i had the old driver.
    For
    Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
    Dated 10/11/2008
    version 6.213.1110.2008
    my onboard lan worked fine BUT only at 10MBps

when i updated it to the following.

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Dated 02/09/2009
    version 6.227.902.2009

it connects at 100MBps BUT is constantly switching between the following states
    Enabled / Network Cable Unplugged.

since it worked fine before i updated the driver i know its not the NIC or the cable. but will not let me roll back i have to uninstall and delete the drivers then reinstall from the mobo driver disk
    i have a Gigabyte GA-M770UD3 Ver2 MoBo running vista Ultimate 64bit if it is relevant.
    hope someone can help. dont want to have to get a new NIC before i had planned to.
    looking at upgrading in the new year to a Killer Xeno pro Card(or the M1)

Reposted from software as i posted there in error

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Personally, I'd reinstall the older driver, then compare your internet speeds to the speeds you were getting with the newer driver. I use www.speedtest.net to check my upload and download speeds. If you do not notice any change in speeds between the old driver and the new driver, then stick with the older driver. One thing about drivers: if it ain't broke, don't fix it! The only driver I ever update is my video driver, all the others stay as they are as long as they're working fine. There is no real need to always have the newest drivers installed because (as you've experienced), updating drivers can lead to unnecessary problems. I just checked the Realtek web site, and they have just released an updated driver on Nov 20 2009. It may be worth a shot. They also have a diagnostic program that can test your ethernet for any problems. Also be sure to download the correct driver for 64bit Vista, as a 32bit driver may cause issues. Here's the link to the Realtek downloads for your ethernet adapter:
    http://www.realtek.com/downloads/do...L)<br>RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E<br>RTL8105E
    :-D

[dlb]

3. Butchtaylor909

thanks for the info..
    have downloaded the Diag program and run it with both versions of the driver.
    (the one on the realtek website dated 20th nov is actually the one i already tried when i finally got it downloaded and installed it still shows up as dated 02/09/2009)
    and for some really strange reason on the cable test it show the cable as normal(no short or open circuits which i knew anyway as it was a cable i had made up.) when i have the old driver installed BUT when i update the driver all of a sudden 2 pairs have shorts and one pair has an open Circuit!
    can not even connect with the new driver to try a speed test.
    when the NIC finally recognises the cable it will not connect to the router. it just shows up as an unknown network.
    going to try the realtek download again in a few days just incase they have forgot to link it to the right one.
    Failling that i may just suffer until after Xmas when i am going to by a new NIC anyway

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I just checked the Gigabyte site, and could not find a motherboard with the model number you posted (GA-M770UD3), but I did find one REAL close to that; GA-MA770-UD3. They have a network diagnostic tool also, plus a driver released Oct 26 2009. Here's the link for 64bit Vista drivers:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...3097&ost=windows+vista+x64+(64-bit)#anchor_os
    Maybe give this a driver try if you haven't already and see what happens! Good luck!

5. Butchtaylor909

Yeah sorry my mistake in my rush to post i missed part of the mobo model number
    it is the one you found.
    i have downloaded the diag tool which is the same as the one i have and the driver is again dated 02/09/2009 when it is downloaded and installed.
    think i may just give up on this and use the old driver untill i treat myself with a new NIC.
    like you said
    "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds