missing operating system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icemeister, Dec 16, 2014.

1. icemeister

icemeister Private E-2

was having some hard drive issues and ran couple of programs and found that the hdd had a lot of bad sections on it, tried a repair app and when it finished i was missing the operating system.
    tried the win 7 repair disk but nothing will start up the system.
    tried some other tools hirens boot, knoppix, dos boot, nothing has worked yet.
    How can i get into disk to recover the system and or can i get the files. I do not have a backup of disk so if i change out the hdd i will have to rein stall of the drivers and such.
    lenovo
    win 7
    wd 750 hdd

any suggestions would help

thanks icemeister

i am on the western edge of today almost into tomorrow

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

If you had backed up your data, or cloned the HDD before attempting any repairs you may have come through this unscathed. However, the only way you will be able to pluck your data at this point would be to install your OS on a new HDD, and connect your old drive externally or connect it to the motherboard alongside the new HDD if this is a desktop.

Cloning won't help, as apparently the OS corruption is too severe. Apps can't be copied unless the drive is a clone, and it appears you will have to start over from scratch.

3. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

4. the mekanic

Where in the OP does it state who manufactured the HDD? There is an inherent risk that these damaged sectors are "hard" bad sectors, and are the result of the drive head contacting the platter. Any further attempt to rewrite the drive could result in it being damaged beyond retrieval or repair.

From the info in the OP, it is highly unlikely any of these are "soft" bad sectors.

5. icemeister

icemeister Private E-2

thanks for the info will look up the wd guide. i removed the hdd and hooked it to my other laptop and could not get it show up as an external drive. i did not try a
    partition app.
    I can buy the lenovo rescue disk for 20 buck would that make a difference in starting up?
    it say it can reinstall win 7 and rescue data.
    I know that i got lazy and could have backed up the data and didnt. shame on me for thinking i could do it without the effort.

thanks
    icemeister

6. icemeister

icemeister Private E-2

Ok, i ran data lifeguard and the drive failed. to many bad sectors.
    Are there any other suggestions to get to the info on drive?
    thanks
    icemeister

7. the mekanic

If you have about a thousand dollars to spare, you could send it out to a lab for recovery. In the future, I suggest using HDSentinel. The unlicensed version is free, and it has not failed as of yet to show me the accurate state of a hard drive.

If the drive cannot be recognized externally, your only real shot is attempting to do a repair of Windows, and have it place your data in a folder called Windows.old for you.

However, there is the very present risk that such action will cause the drive to fail completely...

8. icemeister

icemeister Private E-2

yea thanks, I think i am beating a dead hdd.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds