Win32

Discussion in 'Software' started by NiceGuyeddi, Sep 23, 2006.

1. NiceGuyeddi

NiceGuyeddi Private E-2

Yesterday I downloaded a copy of Nero 7.0.5.4, and needless to say I uninstalled it after it wasn't working to my expectations. Nero Smart Start automatically scanned my hard drive for applicable music/video files. Now when I open my video folder and double click to start a video clip it tells me the file is not a valid Win32 extension. Before I downloaded Nero, the video clip would automatically start through windows media player. Now I have to start windows media player and then select the file and it will play. I also have some zipped video folders which will not open at all; whereas before I could click on them and they would automatically play through windows media. Also, the icons for the zipped folders have changed from a media icon, to a file icon. As well, none of my music files will automatically play through windows media as they did before(their icons have changed as well). I am getting the same error telling me it is not a valid Win32 application. This is nothing more than a huge annoyance for me, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do. I am assuming when Nero scanned my files to set Nero as the default player it somehow changed the format of my video/music files. Basiclly I do not have the same ease of access to my video/music files as I did before. Can anyone help?

2. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Nero will try to do that to you (take over filetypes). Next time you install, if you do decide to, make sure you don't associate any file types with it.

Anyways, it sounds like you might have to set your music/video files to open with Windows Media Player on default again. To do this, do the following:

1) Locate .mp3 files. (My Music :?)
    2) Right mouse click one .mp3 file and select Open With
    3) Scroll down to the bottom of the list until you see Windows Media Player and check that box in
    4) Check in the box that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
    5) Click OK

Do this same process for .mpg, .avi, .asf, .mpeg (video files)

Good luck

3. NiceGuyeddi

NiceGuyeddi Private E-2

I know how to do that. I am saying that when I try to do that it gives me an error saying it is not a valid Win32 application and wont play it.

4. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Media Player

Get into Add/Remove Programs
    1) Click Add/Remove Windows Components
    2) Scroll to the bottom of the list to Windows Media Player
    3) Untick Windows Media Player
    4) Click Next (Wait for uninstall process to finish)
    5) Reboot PC (possibly not totally necessary, but just to be safe)
    6) Repeat steps 1-2
    7) This time put a checkmark in Windows Media Player
    8) Click Next (Wait for install process to finish)
    9) FINISH

By the way, which version of Windows Media Player are you using? Have you ever considered Winamp ( www.winamp.com ) It's A LOT lighter than WMP and will get the job done.

5. dromano

dromano Staff Sergeant

Hi Guys,
    I feel funny trying to answer a question since all i ever do is ask and beg for help but wouldn't it be easier to just do a system restore to the previous day?
    Dan

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds