Would you be able to solve this?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Downil, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Downil

Downil Private E-2

Hi everyone!

I bought and installed Unreal Tournament 2004 three weeks ago and started playing it (offline). After about an hour I experienced stuttering which made it practically impossible to continue. Worst performing is the computer when many other characters are in my field of view, but even when there are not, the game is slower than right after installation. Restarting the computer or letting it cool down doesn´t help. I re-installed it, could play for a while but ran into the same problem again.

Now, making a long story short, I have done most of the things the guys at tweakguides.com suggest (driver update, virus-scan etc) but without any improvements. Not even using a low resolution or turning most visual and audio-effects off helps...

This is what I am using:

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium 4 518, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Montara-PM i852PM
    System Memory 1024 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Phoenix (03/21/05)
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64 MB)
    Disk Drive TOSHIBA MK4026GAX (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

It´s a laptop and I know the video card isn´t good but I have tried UT2004 on my girlfriends computer which has a RAM of 512MB, a Centrino processor of 1-something-GHz and a video card of 64MB (ATI) and it works just fine!!!
    I even ran 3DMark on both computers and my computer got a higher score than hers. I also did a torture-test (Prime95) and didn´t get the computer to crash within 3h, so I quit the test.

Please, try to help me. If you need any additional info, let me know!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

3. rond36

rond36 Private E-2

His laptop meets the minimum requirements:

Pentium III 1.0GHz or Athlon 1.0GHz or faster (1.2GHz or faster recommended)
    128MB RAM minimum (256MB recommended)
    5.5GB free hard drive space
    8X CD-ROM
    32MB Windows 98/ME/2000/XP-compatible video card
    Windows 98/ME/2000/XP-compatible sound card
    DirectX ver 9.0b (included) or higher
    33.6 Kbps modem (broadband recommended)

Have you tried stopping every thing that is running in the background before you start the game.

4. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

5. Downil

Downil Private E-2

Thanks for the replies!

My system meets the requirements.
    According to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest I should have a "great gaming experience", which is not exactly what I have. :)

The other day I tried running the game with OpenGL instead of Direct3D. It worked fine for another hour, but started stuttering again. Now, I am trying yet another driver for my videocard, it works fine but I haven´t played an hour yet, and don´t really believe this will help. Yesterday I cleaned the fans also, but they weren´t very dusty.

6. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

nvidia doesnt appear to support all of their own products - namely laptop GPU's
    I could not find compatible forceware for your card
    compatible drivers should be available from the manufacturers of your laptop

what driver are you using ?

what is the make and model of your laptop ?

here is a link for modifying the nvidia forceware drivers
    you will see from the posts that it appears to have mixed results,
    but if you are keen
    http://www.fredfred.net/skriker/index.php/geforce-fx-go5200-with-latest-forceware-drivers/

7. Downil

Downil Private E-2

Shanemail, I have tried the 97-series, 67.66, and now 82.10, all with modded .inf's from a reliable source (laptopvideo2go.com). I have an Inspiron 5160 just as the guy hwo modified the .inf's.

I installed the 82.10 recently and the game has worked for a longer time than ever, so maby that was the solution. I just didn't believe it was a driver-issue since I have heard many others running the game with the same laptop, video-card and driver as I used before.

I have also placed the computer on two big heatsinks, which probably doesn't make much difference, but you never know.

8. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

9. NeonTool

NeonTool Private E-2

My reply is a "bit" late hehe, but to me it sounds like something regarding the laptop's energy-saving options, especially because you mention that it happens after a bit of playing time has passed. Try turning the energy-saving options completely off and see if it still does the same.

10. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds