install realtek hd audio driver failure !!

Discussion in 'Software' started by leonardodv, Jan 4, 2008.

1. leonardodv

leonardodv Private E-2

Do you like challenges? Well, let me continue this thread by throwing out a big challenge! (yay me!)

Problem: same as above - cannot install the Realtek HD Audio Driver
    Platform: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2 motherboard with WinXP SP2 all updates
    I have the correct drivers, both on the motherboard CD and fresh downloads.

I have tried every step outlined above. I can get the drivers to seemingly install in Safe Mode, but when the computer boots back into Windows, there is no Realtek anything in Device Manager or Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel. It appears the drivers are installed correctly but will not load upon Windows startup. In Device Manager under Sound~ it shows "Audio Device on High Definition Bus." The Microsoft UAA driver can also be found in System Devices. I can remove/uninstall all of this, do a fresh install of the Realtek HD drivers, but as soon as I reboot, it's back to square.

There may be a legacy issue here. Under Legacy Audio Drivers, there are two entries: Midi Devices and Audio Devices. Expanding the '+' beside each one reveals Midi for Yamaha SXG50 Driver and Audio for Yamaha SXG50 driver respectively. There is an option to remove. Selecting that option brings up the warning "...is required by the system". I remove them anyway but the always magically reappear. I did a "Search" (local, in Windows) for Yamaha and SXG50 but found nothing. I also did an Internet search and found nothing useful. Apparently, the Yamaha stuff is legacy from a previous build. I ran RegScrubXP (superb registry cleaner) and it did not find the Yamaha stuff either.

Any idea where I should proceed from here? I would imagine I have left out pertinent details here, but I've been round and round and round with this and am exasperated. holy moly

Would appreciate any suggestions someone might have. Is there a manual registry hack for this?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

3. leonardodv

leonardodv Private E-2

Wow, this is going nowhere. Here are the latest steps I've taken:

Installed Driver Manager 1.02. Ran it. It will not display any drivers past the letter 'E.' No kidding. I tried it in Windows and in Safe Mode - only up to letter 'E.' Still found a couple AC97 legacy drivers and removed them. Obviously, did not find Yamaha anything. Uninstalled and reinstalled Driver Manager - same limit up to the letter 'E.'

Tried to reinstall the Realtek HD Audio, still got the "Failed to Install~" window. If I turn off the Azalia Codec (sound chip on motherboard) in the BIOS, when I go to Control Panel, "Audio Device on High Definition Bus" will not show, not even with "show hidden devices" enabled. If I turn on the sound chip in the BIOS, Audio Device shows but will not let me remove it - "system required" and so forth. I can disable it, but I still can't remove/uninstall it. Add/Remove Programs shows the system to be free of all sound drivers; so does MyUninstaller (great little program, BTW).

I also installed the trialware version of Driver Magic. It found a bunch of older Realtek AC97 and Creative junk. Chosing "disable" for these items did nothing. There was just a pop up window stating that there "is no attached installation procedure to disable."

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I did some looking and the closest thing I could find was this complicated procedure. But there may some good tips there for you.

5. leonardodv

leonardodv Private E-2

Got it!

dlb, although the drivers utilities accomplished essentially nothing, they did jog my brain. I opened Windows Registry and manually deleted all the old audio/sound files that were interfering. Control Panel properties for the old the old Yamaha SXG50 device showed the registry entry to be "MS-MMDRV." I found all such entries in the registry and deleted them. Additionally, I found and removed all the "Creative" and "HDAUDIO" entries. After that, I rebooted the computer, and Windows found a "new hardware" device. I cancelled the Windows driver installation wizard, went straight to the Realtek HD Audio drivers installation files setup, ran it, and voila!

YAY! What had happened is that over the years in building and rebuilding computers, I had been very good at removing all old motherboard chipset, video, and other legacy drivers, but apparently I was pretty sloppy in fully removing old audio device drivers. Well, I paid for it.

But it's all good now. I sure hope this post can help others out.

6. leonardodv

leonardodv Private E-2

musksnipe, looks like you and I were composing our previous posts at nearly the same time. The SXG50 legacy devices in my computer were left over from - embarrassing - perhaps six years ago. There weren't any folders or files in the computer pertaining to Yamaha, SXG50, or Creative that I could find outside of the registry. As explained above, manual registry editing took care of it. The sound device is working perfectly now.

I am so sorry you had to go to all that work for your post in order to help another forum member. That was very kind of you.

I've always been very good at removing legacy garbage, but for some reason I was lax with old audio devices.

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

No problem at all, every time I go on a search like that it only helps to improve what I know and that or your thread may help someone else down the road.;)

8. VandaliaM

VandaliaM Private E-2

I have recently upgraded from a 32 bit processor and mobo to a 64 bit one, and reinstalled Windows XP media center edition, I have tried everything except the regedit option to get my audio driver to install properly. can someone please give me more information on this method as I believe it is my last option. here is my information.

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
    Date 2008-01-11
    Time 05:39

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:

CPU Type AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor

Motherboard Name

GIGABYTE GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Could you start a new thread of your own? I will take a look see as soon as it gets posted. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds