Web cam on laptop does not work...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by john7az, Dec 24, 2009.

1. john7az

john7az Private E-2

I am fixing an Acer Aspire 5810TZ-4238 laptop with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Everything runs fine except that the HD crystal eye web cam does not seem to be working. Device manager lists it as a HD Video Webcam and that it is working properly, yet "Scanners and Cameras" in Dev Man. doesn't see it. The Acer Crystal Eye Webcam program that is supposed to activate it does not see it. Neither does any other program. I've tried the suggested drivers from the acer website plus other variations of them. I've uninstalled and rebooted each time and I dont know... I've been working on thisw for almost a whole day... likie running into a brick wall over and over... what gives? Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Cannot promise this will work, but I've seen on the internet posts from two users of Acer laptops running Vista and having a mysterious problem with the crystal eye web cam.

Seems they solved the problem by removing all the pictures from the "Pictures" folder not created by the web cam itself . . . now I assume they are referring to the operating system's "Pictures" folder; but if not then whatever the default folder is the web cam saves files to.

I have no idea why that would work . . . but it did for those two Acer users if their posts are to be believed.

Here is a faq from the Acer site about using the cam. I noticed it suggests using a third party program for recording video and using it as a webcam. Have you tried any other web cam apps?

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/Aspire1300/Aspire1300faq60.shtml

3. john7az

john7az Private E-2

HI! Thanks. I don't know why the picture thing would work also...I too have seen those and also have tried it. Doesn't work. Thanks also for the link. Idk why I haven't come across that in my searches but the third party apps don't seem to work also. Those 3rd party apps also detect the camera but will also tell me that the camera is not found. I suggest now that nobody ever buy an acer laptop unless it is a too good of a deal to pass up. Their customer support sucks.

4. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Hello There,

I did have a acer aspire laptop myself and had the same problem with the built in webcam, To solve the problem you had to download a driver that worked with the webcam off acer's website.

There is quite a few of them and different versions but you just got to try them.

I got rid off the laptop as I got fed up with the webcam thing.

The other option is to purchase a webcam and plug it in to the usb port and that will work aswell.

Andy

5. john7az

john7az Private E-2

i tried that over and over again... just doesn't work :(

thanks anyway

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds