Opening .BIN files on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Astroglobe, May 17, 2008.

1. Astroglobe

Astroglobe Private E-2

Hey guys,

Anyone have any tips for opening a .BIN file on Windows XP. I've tried to use various Zip/RAR/Whatever converters and all failed. For some reason Linksys insists on using BIN files for Firmware downloads for their routers. All I want to do is convert the BIN file and allow me to install the firmware. Should be straightforward -- hasn't been.

Thanks in advance :confused

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

It looks like you use the .bin through your router interface in your browser. I couldn't get the address to this page from the Linksys help page but here is a .pdf copy.

Pdf for Firmware Upgrade

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Convert the .BIN to an .ISO and either burn it as an image to a CD (if you use a CDRW you can erase it when you're done), or, after the .BIN has been converted to an .ISO, you can use TUGZip (or WinRAR) to extract the ISO to a standard folder. I believe that you can also use RawWrite to write the BIN directly to a floppy. Here's some links:
    .BIN to .ISO http://www.weethet.nl/english/cdrw_bintoiso.php
    RawWrite http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite

Good luck!

4. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

Most .BIN file come with a .CUE file to burn to a cd or dvd but the simple thing to do is what dlb said post above....

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm going to say go back to my link above. Lynksys updates are done through your web browser. The .bin in your case is to be opened from your router control panel in your browser--not burnt to floppy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds