System Repeatedly Freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ellume, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Ellume

Ellume Private E-2

This started in the Malware Forum http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=183283 and I was directed to the Software Forum http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=183535 Now I'm moving it here.

I have completely formated and reinstalled my copy of Windows XP Pro. I installed updated drivers. And the problem continues. This problem only started a few weeks ago, up till then everything worked fine. My problem is:

* When in games my computer will freeze for several seconds regularly. During this time the screen freezes, then after a couple seconds the mouse and sound freezes. If I click or type during that time the computer will beep (from the computer, not the speakers). Then it returns to normal again only to be repeated shortly after.
    * When I type (even right now) my computer is continually going through minifreezes. The computer will beep and any text I typed at the same time is lost, or on occasion it will act like I held down the key and several of the letter will appear after (rarer). If I do not type, there is no problem and no system beeps. This also happens in safemode (where I'm writing this).

My friend gave me his old video card. I put that in. After I installed the drivers for the new graphics card the screen goes black. When I boot up, after the windows loading screen, the screen goes black (light goes from green to orange, like it isn't receiving anything). I can start up in safemode, uninstall the drivers, then can boot up normally using only VGA graphics. The problem with the system beeps and losing text continues with the new graphic card and in safemode. Because I can't boot up so I see stuff with graphic drivers I can't even try to run games.

My system specs are:
    Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
    Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20Ghz
    1Gb of some dual channel RAM
    First Video Card: EVGA Nvidia e-GeForce 7600 GT
    Second Friend Video Card: MSI Nvidia GeForce 6600 LE
    Motherboard: EVGA 680i SLI
    PSU: 450Watt unknown brand

So if anyone can help me figure out what is wrong, or what needs to be replaced, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

It might be worth giving your memory a check- http://www.memtest.org/
    If you need help using or creating the CD this page will help. Let us know what happens.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is the interior clean of heat trapping dust and dirt? Do all fans spin properly?

How old is this system?

All older motherboards, and many of today's less expensive motherboards use electrolytic capacitors containing a liquid electrolyte. Failing (including flawed and/or abused/over-heated) capacitors literally bulge at the seams due to excessive internal pressures. Extreme (and very rare) cases result in a firecracker type explosion that can really stink up a room. Typically, electrolyte just oozes from the pressure relief point, which appears as a symbol or letter stamped in the top of the capacitor casing. The electrolyte can be caustic to motherboards and flesh. Look for white to dark-brown, dried liquid or foam on the tops or bottoms of the capacitors. Bulging capacitors are a sign leakage is about to occur.

A motherboard with bulging or leaky capacitors can be repaired, but often it is more cost effective in the long run to replace the motherboard.

Be sure to first power down, unplug the computer, and keep yourself discharged by touching the bare metal of the case before reaching in.

I agree with voodoo and testing the RAM would be a good idea too. As noted, MemTest86+ (my favorite) is available. However, Windows Memory Diagnostic is just as effective and many users feel easier to use. See the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information.

Both require you to create and boot to a bootable floppy disk or CD to run the diagnostics. Using the floppy method is generally easier (and another reason to include floppy drives in new builds. However, the CD method is just as effective at detecting RAM problems. With either, allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.

An excellent how-to guide for MemTest+ is available here.

Did you try a different power supply?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds