hp scanjet g3010 and windows 7 64 bit

Discussion in 'Software' started by Brazstar, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Brazstar

Brazstar Private E-2

hello there!

when i bought a new computer my hp g3010 didnt work, i've been to the HP website and downloaded the sofware supposelly necessary so the scanner can work. But after numerrous unistall and install of the sofware, not sure what else to do. It seem to be fully installed but once i click on the icon for the printer it says that the software is not supported. below is what i have installed. Please help! rolleyes

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...kId=135&prodTypeId=15179&prodSeriesId=1849437

2. css1323

css1323 Private E-2

Did you email support? Also, did you choose the correct OS version - 32-bit or 64-bit?

3. Brazstar

Brazstar Private E-2

yes, i did but they want to charge me the price of a new scanner, you know that goes, so before spending money on another useless equipment Im reaching out for help,by visiting this this sire to see if anyone has experienced the same problem. yes I chose the correct version of windows.
    i have also the original CD that will not even let me install the old software version. Are you going to be able to help out?

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Have you tried using Windows Update to search for the driver?

While the scanner is connected, go to "Devices and Printers" and delete it, then immediately unplug the USB cable. Also delete any HP software/crapware using Control Panel>Programs. Finally, download Advanced System Care Free from MajorGeek's download section and use it to clean the registry.

Reboot the PC then reconnect the scanner. You should get a prompt asking if you want Windows to search online for the driver(s) - answer yes.

This isn't a guaranteed fix; however this normally results in only the basic drivers being installed. The bloated HP software packages sometimes cause issues.

Hope this helps. :)

5. w7pro

w7pro Private E-2

I agree at that you may want to use Windows Update to find your drivers. At the very least, you'll make sure that your machine is completely up to date.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Please do not use Windows update for drivers!

After having windows "suggested" drivers downloaded, installed and breaking hardware, making it necessary for me to rollback drivers on 2 or 3 occasions, I only accept drivers from the hardware manufacturer.

7. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Point taken. My use of the term "Windows Update" in this post was in error; I should have stated the OP should hook the device up and allow Windows to search online for the proper driver.

It is practically (if not totally) impossible to find or download basic drivers for home use and some business grade printers/scanners from HP's support site. The only way to install them through hp.com is as part of a bloatware suite package which has wrecked havoc on a few OS registries I've dealt with.

When it comes to HP, my experience has been it's less risky to use this method. My advice to clients is to avoid the issue by purchasing other brands of imaging products that offer a clear option for bare-bones driver installation.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  8. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

I checked the HP site, and they do offer just a basic driver download. Maybe the OP should try installing that. It was called HP Scanjet Basic Feature Driver

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

10. Brazstar

Brazstar Private E-2

hello everyone, Thanks for everyone's inputs.
    Now, the situation is: I have isntalled and now able to see the Hp solution sofwatware screen, however when clicking on "scan" the software stops responding, when i click "cntl out del" although under "task manager" it says " running" still the screen is clearly fronzen ...grrrrr....certainly no more HP, they are scammers always making consumers to buy new equipment, indirectly...this is my second scanner that doesnt work because of OP change... any other suggestions?

11. StoneHenge

StoneHenge Private E-2

My brother purchased the g3010 from BestBuy and it had the same issues as yours. When he bought it he also got an extended warranty, and only b/c of the extended warranty would they exchange the scanner for him, even though he was returning it within a week of the original date of purchase.

He downloaded the HP Scanjet Basic Feature Driver which allowed him to use the scanner. However i don't think startup and logoff issues were ever the same after installing the driver update - taking too long, hanging the app, and requesting updates all the time. When I talk with my bro tonite I'll ask him if he ever resolved the problems he had with that scanner.

grrrrr....certainly no more HP, they are scammers always making consumers to buy new equipment

"Fool me once - shame on you; fool me twice - shame on me."
    - Captain James T. Kirk

12. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I had a very nice HP scanner that turned into a paperweight upon upgrading to Win 7.

I also have an OfficeJet 5610 AIO that - for no apparent reason - stops working every few months (although it shows as correctly installed in "Devices & Printers", anything sent to it sits and rots in the print que). The only way I've found to fix the issue is to delete the device, unplug the USB, reboot the system, reconnect the USB and have Windows discover and install it as a new device.

My experience is that Canon offers the best product/driver combos for home and small office use. Unlike HP, Canon makes it easy to do a barebones driver install if desired (either from the setup CD or the Web). If you decide to install the added Canon software, it doesn't seem to take up nearly the system resources HP suites do.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds