Win7 X64 driver needed for Promise card...

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Aug 23, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I know it's a total long-shot or impossibility, but I thought I'd ask.... are any 64bit Windows 7 drivers available for a Promise based PCI IDE controller. The controller chip is PDC20269 or PDC20268. The actual card model is either a Maxtor ATA133 (aka Maxtor Ultra ATA133) or Promise Ultra100TX2. I have checked both the Maxtor/Seagate site and the Promise site. The newest I could find was XP drivers, and not even 64bit XP drivers. I'm sure this is a lost cause, and there's no rush, but if someone has a source, or knows how to modify an XP driver to a Win7 driver..... POST!

Thx!

(I also tried using Windows Update to scan for drivers - no dice!)

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi dlb,
    have you tried running it in compatability mode...

1. Place the driver installation file on the Desktop.

2. Right Click the driver installation file and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Select the appropriate options in from the list in the following image.

[​IMG]

3. Click Apply/OK.

4. Right Click the file and select the Run As Administrator option to install.

It is recommend that you contact the maker of the hardware device and inquire about future driver support for Windows 7.

hope this helps Bud ;)

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'll give it a go in the next day or two.... IIRC, I did try this weeks and weeks ago, and it didn't work, but I'll try it again. I already contacted Promise (weeks and weeks ago when I was first messing with this) and they have no plans to release ANY new drivers (Vista or 7) for "legacy" devices. These cards are old IDE controllers, and I'd like to get one working so that some IDE DVDRW drives I have will work with newer motherboards that no longer have the IDE controllers on board....

4. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Edit>>>> fix was for wrong card : (

5. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

I found this for you ....

I seem to have updated the driver successfully for my WIN 7 64 OS. I downloaded the ULTRA133 TX2 WINDOWS 2.1.0.3 LOGO DRIVER packet to my desktop. I opened it up. I went to the AMD64 folder inside that. Inside are 3 files: ultra.sys, ultra.inf, and ultra.cat. Just create a folder on your desktop. Copy and paste those three files into it. Open DEVICE MANAGER. Left click the device to update the driver for. Use the BROWSE FOR DRIVER option. Direct the updater to the folder that you created on your desktop and VIOLA!

The issue seems to be that the driver updater doesn't know which files it needs, or where to get them, unless you follow those easy steps first.

Found here..... http://social.technet.microsoft.com...e/thread/9fc29b5c-8c2d-4bb4-96a0-90a1be71ceaa ... second off last post.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks!!! I just read the info at the link you provided, it was posted just a few months ago so there's a REAL good chance it will work. I'm going to try to test it tomorrow at work, but I may not have time... but I will give it a shot in the next few days and will report my results.

Thanks for your dedication to my "lost cause"!

:dood You rock!

(I looked thru the .INF file in the driver and it appears to support all the Ultra cards including the 66, 100, and 133 - thanks again!)

7. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Just glad to be of some assistance to a fellow M'Geek, I know what it's like to be looking all over for this type of issue, I've had a fair bit af spare time lately (unemployed :cry and cannot get work due to disabilities !!) so have decided to dedicate myself to the MG's forums to try and assist others with thier various issues the best I can ;).

I hope that fix works for you, let me know!!

8. asinblue

asinblue Private E-2

over a year later and this helped me out. Thank you.

I just build a new Windows 8 server and wanted to use spare IDE drives and make use of this old Ultra 100 card and it worked!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds