cd/dvd overheating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cessenaacrobat, Jan 10, 2007.

1. cessenaacrobat

cessenaacrobat Private E-2

I wrote on Major Geeks about getting a secondary drive failure repeatedly. I was told on here and off here it was probably fried. SoI replaced it with a Pioneer DVR 710, DVD/CD writer, 8x max dual/double layer, 16x16 max dvd writing speed.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 8200, Pent IV, 2.40GZ, 512 Ram, XP Home ed. I do know that my settings are cable select. The burner was always master and the other bay was slave as it was a read only for dvds and Cds. I went to hardware manager and removed the bad drive. Then I put in the new one. I installed it the same way as the old one, and put the jumpers on according to the illustration for cable select. my puter recognized both drives and both drives play. The play drive only is a Samsung DVD-Rom SD616t, type is shown as a DVD/CD-R.

I figured if you have all the info on both the reader and the burner and my puter it would help. I used Roxio and the new pioneer came with Nero. So I have both. For the record I like Roxio better, but thats not the problem. The problem is the same one. It will burn like l/2 the cd (music) and then has an error or it burns and its distorted. At first I can either hear it burning or the fan running(I actually never knew what the sound was) then it quits and starts again. I am not getting the secondary drive failure message anymore, but the burning problem is the same. Is the fan not working and the drive is overheating or does it sound like another problem? If its the fan (I think there might be more then one:eek: ) how do I check it? If its not? what could it be software or my new burner?

Missy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds