Question about My hp dc5100 sff.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jsduncan1988, May 20, 2010.

1. jsduncan1988

jsduncan1988 Private E-2

Would i be able to replace the original power supply, with a better one such as one ive already gotten from a better cpu? Hard drives that are larger in size but still work??????? Im very curious to know and i figured this was the best place for help :)

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Is there any way you can post a picture of the inside of the unit please? We need to see the dimensions of the current and new PSUs.

3. jsduncan1988

jsduncan1988 Private E-2

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It isn't going to work as far as swapping out power supplies. I had an HP tower and the power supply is very much proprietary.
    Here is your Compaq power supply
    http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/300-Watt-Compaq-277979-001-power-supply.php
    and your HP desktop power supply
    http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/300...-atx-300-12zcdr.php?psu=ATX-300-12ZCDR-a1245c

Note the difference in the dimensions:
    Compaq
    3 7/8" Wide X 5 1/8" Tall X 4 " Deep
    HP
    6" Wide X 3.5" Tall X 5.5" Deep

When I replaced my power supply, I had to buy one that matched the dimensions.

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

That's what I suspected. As plodr has said, you need to get a PSU of the same dimensions, which is probably non-existent in a higher wattage. As for the hard drive, I assume they are both standard 3.5" models, which begs the question how are the sizes different?

6. jsduncan1988

jsduncan1988 Private E-2

yes, but will the motherboard and everything from my newer sff cpu, support the other hard drive?????

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

As long as both hard drives have the same connectors then yes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds