Help, computer keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hometownparrothead, Jan 6, 2005.

1. hometownparrothead

hometownparrothead Private E-2

I hope I have posted this in the right place. My computer reboots almost every time I go online. I finally got online after four tries. The computer does not give me any indication it is going to shut down, but just reboots and then I get this error message:

C:\\Windows\Minidump\Mini010305.01dmp
    C:\Docume~|\sliman~|\Locals~|\Temp\wer7.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

I was not able to cut and paste the error message and hope I have it exact.
    I own a business and one of my employees likes to play on my computer when I am not here and she has extra times on her hands(which in the past was quite often). I finally shut her out with norton, however, I was told she kept trying to get online anyways. Well to make a log story short I had lots of problems and someone said that I probably have spyware or adware (or whatever it is called). So I found this website and followed the directions for removing. In the meantime I deleted Norton from the system because I was unable to retrieve emails. After I installed Norton, I have this problem with the computer rebooting. However, it appears to have nothing to do with Norton as there is no mention of it in the error message. The girl is no longer working here as of yesterday so hopefully if I get this fixed the problem will be resolved. Thanks for any help.
    April

2. Shadows4529

Shadows4529 Private E-2

HI man i had almost the same problem...lol
    i need to know did u have a blue screen before it shut down because it sounds like the blaster issue with xp but thats ilrelavant i think i spelled that right lol been up to long anyways if it is u got a virus and that sucks if not u got either mal-ware adware or spyware i know u got spyware everyone does heres how to get rid of it if u can get to www.downloads.com and downloads Ad-Aware cut and paste it in there search bar download that run it let it update itself unplug your internet or d/c and run only ad aware its really good at getting it all out then un-install norton and reinstall LEAVE THE NET OFF DURING ALL OF THIS very important at least to me then once nortons is done installing reboot turn ur net back on update norton and that should fix it if not u may have to reinstall that will defintely fix it...lol sorry if this was of no help to u. also if this only happens after ur employee was playing on it she has more then likely visited some adult sites dont take that to heart but thats where u get alot of spyware and adware also check into downloading mozilla which u can get at www.mozilla.com its a good browser and the new beta program out by micrsoft is a good adware and spyware blocker which u can find at downloads.com

3. Kip32

Kip32 Private E-2

Sounds like your computer might have come down with something. Go to this thread and when you are done your computer should be clean.
    Basic Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal
    If you still have problems after this, come back. This place is great for helping people out.

4. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Hi, and welcome to the forum, do as Kip32 suggested but I have one question.

Did you delete Norton or uninstall it? This is important because you can't just delete and reinstall Norton this could cause conflicks and make the system reboot depending on what you deleted. But if you uninstalled thru a uninstall program or with windows add remove programs then that is ok.

Rick

5. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

To at least shut off the reboot-function and then be able to locate the problem do this:
    Right click my computer > Properties > Advanced > under startup and recovery click Settings > disable the 'reboot automatically'.

It's probably a program fault with Norton causing a system error. Now you won't have to go through the reboot every time but it still menas you do have a problem. You should get an error message or so when this happens. If so I'd try to uninstall / reinstall Norton first of all to see if that helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds