Why is it recommended that you dont use CCleaner's reg. cleaner?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jak3y, Sep 4, 2005.

1. jak3y

jak3y Guest

But RebScrub is recommended...if CCleaner is good for the goose...why not the gander? Seems like a great program for temp. stuff, why not the registry ones?
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I didn't know that! I use it all the time along with RegSupreme and haven't had any issues or problems. :)

3. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

I've never had a problem with it either. I back up the entries it deletes, but I have never had any need to restore a backed-up entry after using CCleaner.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

For me personally I have used Regsupreme and Regcleaner for years and have a good idea what they delete and leave, I just havnt had time to look at how far CCleaner goes into the registry to full give it a thumbs up. Not to say its no good at what its does as I use it to remove all the other junk on my PCs, I just couldnt 100% recomend a registry cleaner I havnt fully explorered what its removing.

you will find most of the coments about CCleaner came from this thread and a few links in it http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=1543&st=0

5. mw7734

mw7734 Private E-2

Been using CCleaner to scan for registry issues about once a week for a good while now and have not had a single problem yet. I always make a reg backup though, just in case. 1 vote for it here. FYI

6. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

I use Erunt to back up my registry then run RegCleaner's "Do Them All" cleaning process....

I also use Erunt's registry optimizer function.... haven't had any problems...

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

I find that typical registry cleaners only clean predefined entries. It doesn't clean everything, but it does help.

I've used crap cleaner, regsupreme, and a few others. But, with manual checking of the registry (not recommened) I still find entries that are not needed. But, that is after I have read many books and used personal experience (5 years) with the registry.

For a quick scan/fix I still use ccleaner.

8. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

The way I see how reg backups work is that if anything is deleted or changed and probs occur things deleted will be restored and changed entries will be overwritten back to the original setting.

But any added reg entries that cause probs will remain even after using the backup to restore the reg.Is this correct?

9. waltaja

waltaja Private First Class

i always used the registry tool in system mechanic, and i never had any problems

10. I have been useing registry mechanic for a little while now. I run that and scandisk whenever my computer seems to be getting a little buggy and i do the whole nine yards. Update first, deep scan registry, then compress registry (that takes out useless blank lines in the registry that dont mean anything.) and i havent had a problem yet. You have to pay for a full version but just save the key they email you and if you ever reinstall it for any reason you register it with that key again and your back in business. I have even used the key in multiple computers without any problem. I vote for reg mech.
    -the new tech guy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds