Microsoft Security Essentials vs others

Discussion in 'Software' started by JVBPinkStar, Mar 20, 2011.

1. JVBPinkStar

JVBPinkStar Private E-2

I have a question.

After removing a virus from my computer, thanks to you guys ;) I downloaded a bundle that includes Hijack This, Malwarebites Anti-Malware, Spybot S&D, CCleaner, Super AntiSpyware, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Doctor.

During the removal process it was recommended to disable Microsoft Security Essentials but I didn't know how; so I removed it in add/remove programs.

Now I want to install Spyware Doctor, it says to remove Microsoft Security Essentials first...when I go to add/remove programs I don't see it there, I see a ton of MS updates...where could it be hiding?

I use windows xp and Mozilla Firefox.

Also, what do you recommend to install as protection? Should I keep using Microsoft Essentials again or Spyware Doctor?

Thanks so much for your help!
    ;)
    JVB

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Personally I would keep using Microsoft Security Essentials (so re-install it) and install Spywareblaster, CCleaner (not an antimalware app but good for

cleaning up temps) and Malwarebytes, but only use the free version of MBAM as an on demand scanner.

Can also read the info HERE on how to protect yourself and the guide has the links to

download of any of the apps.

But the main part of online protection is you and where you download from, so using say p2p applications or less safe download sites increases your risk

of possible infection, also keep your Windows and any applications fully upto date always.

*if you do wish to remove MSE then re-install it then uninstall via add/remove then reboot, then try installing your chosen AV application again.

3. JVBPinkStar

JVBPinkStar Private E-2

Thank you! Will do.

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds