limiting search

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by WayneKing, Jul 8, 2008.

1. WayneKing

WayneKing Private E-2

It does not seem to be possilbe to search for articles/threads that contain all of the keywords rather then any of the keywords. It is very tedious to find anything if one can't narrow the list rather than expanding it.

I tried using the old '+' next to a keyword but that doesn't work. Is there a way to search for articles that contain all the keywords?

If not, why not?

2. WayneKing

WayneKing Private E-2

P.S. Note the "similar" threads to this one. They seem to include anything with the word limiting -- thats not very limiting is it.

3. WayneKing

WayneKing Private E-2

How can I search for software downloads?

The search feature on the home page seems to be primarily for seaching the forums. Is there a way to search for software downloads. I sometimes find that I am unsure of what category to look in and would like to be able to do a search of the dowloads available.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Sadly the vbulletin Forum software is not as powerful a search engine as the likes of google, live , yahoo etc so bets to use the Advanced Search function and use "keyword"+"keyword2" etc in the main seach box and then choose a tag say "driver" if you need to try and narrow it down further, but Tags dont always help, then choose a catagory of forum your search falls under.

The option to search via title keywords is a useless one as many titles dont give an idea of what the issue is about like, Vista 8800gts driver causes error, but are more HELP Please... so causes that function to narrow down searches to be less than ideal

Its picked up a key word of your thread and I dont use similar threads option to find what I'm looking for as its not accurate as its a broad search on similar titles threads.

As for the main site and downloads, the search is not too bad the top links if with the url of www.majorgeeks.com then those are your results for downloads, if the url is forums.majorgeeks.com then its the forum, but I find searching the lists for a particular download easier by knowing the area like Drive Tools or Admin Tools etc and just look down the list as each gataory is not too long to look down and when their you can narrow by Licence or Popularity

Sadly search is not perfect.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds