Windows Update Downloader

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Nov 4, 2007.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Windows Update Downloader (available here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Windows_Updates_Downloader_d5440.html) looks pretty cool; I wouldn't have to deal with Microsoft. So, I ran it, and after figuring out the "No List Available" error, all the updates I selected were downloaded. Now, it doesn't install the updates (which I didn't know). And I have no idea where the updates went. So, now what? I have a bunch of updates downloaded, they're SOMEWHERE on my PC, and I have no way to install them.... what now? Any ideas?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If you didnt change the default location they are saved here C:\Program Files\Windows Updates Downloader\Other

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanx- they actually downloaded into their own folders in the location you posted above. Is there an easier way to install them? Or do I have to run each update individually? That'll be time consuming and monotonous.

4. DavidGP

Run individually, I'm afraid, unless you goto WU, possible take th etime to manually use in W2k or XP a script http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296861 to bulk load then all in one go with one reboot or download the Monthly Windows Update ISOs http://www.majorgeeks.com/Security_Releases_ISO_Image__d5726.html ( do bare in mind that these ISOs cover all current OSes and the DL is generally 2GB+ )

If its a new PC or install you'd be doing as say a network manager/admin then using nLite to slipstram the hotfixes into the main OS cd/DVD is a time saver... but only if your re-installing Winodws if not its not a time saver.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmm... I was hoping this would be a way to get updates easily without having to go thru Microsoft, like how Autopatcher used to be before Microsoft shut 'em down. At least I got the final Autopatcher installed (and burned). I try to avoid the MS Update site as much as possible; you never know when they're going to install something without you're knowledge or approval, as they did with Vista recently. I was thinking that a script of some type would be the way to go, also. I guess some more research is in my future; I love learning new and useful (or useless?) info ;) Thanks for your help.

6. DavidGP

But your not avoiding the MS update site with this application as it gets the DLs off the MS WU Servers IIRC IP block 213.200.x.x is Microsoft or Akami who MS use on occasion to host files.

A section of the ULZ files that the app uses to get the right downloads, you'll notice they are as I mentioned direct off MS servers....

Even with downloading seperate hotfix packages, unless you actually look into the MSKB on each of them you will not know what your downloading and installing, auto updates will always auto install security hotfixes and updates, however I know the one you mean in which it turned back on AutoUpdate and install when a user had turned it off, they did own up to this and the team involved had not chatted to the other teams on what this update could do, things are in place to have further ones signed off, not to say it wont happen again as the ones issueing the updates are human after all.

While I loved Autopatcher and use it myself and trusted the team working on that... how safe can you be with others that may spring up ( not talking about the app mentioned in this thread as I have seen what the dev of this is out to achieve and its above board ) and try to mimic the work autopatcher did, they "could" if not honest developers add/hide all sorts of malware to the downloads to catch many out, creating very large botnets over the fear of conspiracy theorys aimed at Microsoft?!

If you need a master disk upto date then this app plus nLite are made for each other, but this will only be for a clean install.

If for say updating then the script method would be best.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks for all the info. I learn something new all the time here at MG, and that's what it's all about..... I'll figure out what I'll do here in a day or two. Again, thanks for the help ;)

BTW- I did a bit of research and found an MS program called the 'Package Installer' which is used every time one goes online to install updates using Windows Update or Automatic Update. Only I downloaded the permanent copy so it's installed on the PC, versus having to temporarily install and run it when updating. Since it's now permanently installed, maybe I can point it to the folder where the update files are, or maybe move the update files to where Windows Update would store them, then launch the package installer. Whuddayathink?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds