AVG Watchdog has taken over hubby's PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by moonpuppy, May 30, 2013.

1. moonpuppy

moonpuppy Private E-2

Today I had to open hubby's pc up to find out what video card he had because the Hardware Manager wasn't listing it. To see the card, I had to pull it, then replace it. When I went to restart his pc, AVG Watchdog took over with some screens (light blue) starting some processes, finishing them, then starting more, then finishing. Then it stopped.

1. Windows XP, SP3
    2. Cannot start in Safe Mode (any variation)
    3. Cannot get into Windows at all, even to get to a command prompt to get rid of AVG.
    4. AVG the company is useless. PC will not read the ISO boot disk they recommend making. PC will not read the boot USB they recommend making.
    5. Am I stuck reinstalling the OS?
    6. Or is there some way to get to a command prompt w/o going into Windows whereupon AVG hijacks the machine.

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Can that machine boot from USB? Is it in the boot sequence?

3. moonpuppy

moonpuppy Private E-2

Your answer popped up at the same time - I swear - darling hubby said, "do you need to configure the USB into the start-up?". Gah.

Okay. Did that. Got rid of Everything!AVG.

Now, like I've seen elsewhere on the net, the pc boots up mostly normally. The first time it ran CHKDSK, which was fine, then then went to a black screen.

Reboot.

Goes into normal boot routine, but after the Windows start-up screen pops up, the screen goes black. Lights are on on the keyboard. Lights show the HDD is running. Monitor light is green, so it's getting a signal, but nothing but a black screen shows.

More help, please?:-o

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds