Win 7 Updating Errors

Discussion in 'Software' started by hcrawfor, Oct 17, 2014.

1. hcrawfor

hcrawfor Private First Class

Win 7 Home Premium

Can't run Windows Update.

I continually receive a message stating I need to update the Windows Update Agent. When I follow the prompts, the system starts to download... but then I receive the following error: error code 80070216.

I've run malware bytes and ccleaner... and system appears clean. I've rebooted, and other than this issue, my system operates normally. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I had a similar problem with both Windows Update and Firewall being disabled. I used the free utility Windows Repair from Tweaking.com. It allows you to select only what needs to be repaired.
    Some of the steps are optional. On the Start Repairs tab, click Start, and then on the left check only item no.17. Ensure the others are unchecked, and click Start Repairs.
    Here's the link for the download:
    http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

3. hcrawfor

Unfortunately, this didn't work. Also ran malwarebytes a second time and did a scandisc... then followed the prompts at tweaking.com again.

Same problem... can't perform a windows update... yet the system runs fine.

Any other suggestions?

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

If Windows Repair didn't work... it's a serious problem. I found the following info on Microsoft's website.
    http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us
    It's a lenghty procedure and I cannot vouch for it.

A last resort is to repair Windows 7, if you have the original disc. I did this a week ago due to other problems and all my Windows settings, programs* and files were untouched. Here's the link to detailed instructions on how to repair Windows 7.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/243190/how_to_repair_a_corrupt_windows_7_installation.html

*After repairing Windows 7, I had to repair Avast! Antivirus, Nero Essentials, and the Lexmark program. Avast! repaired without any hassels, but the Nero and Lexmark programs had to be uninstalled and re-installed.

5. hcrawfor

Problem resolved by restoring windows to original factory settings. Thanks Eldon. Fortunately, there was no need to back-up any files. This was a friend's computer, who purchased this used laptop a couple of months ago... and only used it to browse the internet and read email.

As I'm responding on my laptop, the system in question is working on 166 windows updates. Also, my Power Settings issue described in another post, has also been corrected.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds