Random Dropping of Wireless Internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by collegedropout, Oct 5, 2006.

1. collegedropout

collegedropout Private E-2

Recently, of the last two weeks or so, I have been losing my wireless seemingly unwarrented multiple times a day. Some times it takes 30 seconds, some times 5 or 6 hours. Before this started happening, it worked for more than 4 months solid with no loss.

So, i decided to reformat everything, reinstall my basic stuffs, since i don't need much anymore.

Under XP event viewer, i am noticing this entry, every 20 seconds exactly.

Source TCPIP, Event 4201

The system detected that network adapter D-Link WDA-2320 Desktop Adapter was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

What is causing this to work this way? I'm pretty baffled.

EC

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Some possible reasons:
    Sorin Ciulpan
    This is just an informational message and occurs for Windows servers (clustered or not) and Windows workstations. Windows detects the LINK activation for the Ethernet 10/100BaseT adapter. But it is a very good indication for situations when there is a cable problem or switch/hub issue.

Joe Goldsmith (Last update 3/23/2005):
    I came across this error on a system. The System Log was full of these events. I noticed that the wireless network icon was indicating that Windows was trying to acquire a network address. I had changed the WPA-PSK password recently and had not updated it on the machine. Every time the machine tried to update (about every 10 seconds) it recorded an error. I updated the password and the error has gone away.

Selma (Last update 3/23/2005):
    I was getting literally thousands of 4201 error messages on my server over a three-week period. It turned out that the switch was failing. After I replaced the switch, the problem ceased to reappear

3. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

I am not very educated on the matter, but recently had to diagnose similar issues myself.
    Have you tried a wired connection to your wireless router (if so equipped) to see if it is actually an issue related to the wireless properties instead of a problem with the router itself or the data signal before it hits the router?
    Two things that affect my wireless connectivity are (1) my 2.4 ghz cordless phone which is based near my router and (2) the microwave oven which is located between my wireless router and one of my computers.

4. collegedropout

collegedropout Private E-2

I'll check to see (some time this weekend) if a physical line will change anything. This seems really odd to me.

We have 3 2.4gz cordless phones in the house, which have been here since before i built my rig. Also, the mircowave is directly below me, which doesn't get used on a daily basis.

What type of steps should I take to diagnose this... D-Link was pretty unsupportive. Further, if the computer that is hooked to the router had an issue, such as virus, mass amounts of spyware, or other mal-ware, could this be triggering effects such as this.

I try to keep my roommate from letting his computer get all jacked up, but they don't care, or even attempt to keep it clean.

Thanks,
    E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds