pop ups (Adaware won't fix it)

Discussion in 'Software' started by engram, Mar 1, 2003.

1. engram

engram Private E-2

Hi, I'm having serious trouble with a pop up that executes every time I start internet explorer and even every time I go to a different web page. (Win XP) I've tried Adaware and another spyware remouval program but the problem still persists. I'm not sure where I should look to solve the problem. (config.sys)?

Thank you,

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

When you say popup, do you mean a web browser window or a grey box with a message? Thats Messenger if its a grey box, go to your control panel, administrative tools, services and find Messenger and using the dropdown box select disabled.

3. engram

engram Private E-2

thak you

I've used spybot and it doesn't seem to pick it up.
    To major attitude. I not useing msn messenger if that's the messenger you're reffering too.

I'll try to explain the behavior of the problem.
    Each time I initiate internet explorer I get the pop-up, them every time I choose a new page or even press the "back" button it appears again. Though if I refresh the page it doesn't occur.

I wish I were a little more computer savy so I could figure this out myself. Thanks for the quick replies though it has been helpful in letting me further understand what's going on.

4. Major Attitude

No, MSN Messenger is the internet chat client, Messenger is tool for communicating on a local area network. Again, these are 2 different things. Most home users do not need this, nor know its there or what it is, and it should be disabled as explained above. Since you have not tracked it down, that would be my guess. Eventually, if this is not the problem, you WILL get one fo these popups, so might as well disable it now anyway.

Did you use web updater to update Ad-Aware to the latest version? Its updated often.

If your on a always on internet connection, you want to look into whats running on your PC at startup. Some people run weather or news programs and some of these can be the source.

5. Mistic

Mistic Private E-2

Next time it pops up just leave it and press control, alt, delet - go to applications and see if there is a stealth program at work. If you do see somethin, run a search and find out where it is then delete the folder or .exe. Make sure its not a system file though. ;)

6. Major Attitude

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds