made the mistake of listening to HP tech

Discussion in 'Software' started by vivaceconbrio, Nov 7, 2007.

1. vivaceconbrio

vivaceconbrio Private E-2

Hello,

It all began with a free space issue - after connecting numerous times to HP support tech, i was told to do a non destructive system restore., which i did, only to find my user profile gone, and all the dlls that run my applications no longer working. The space issues was from too many picture files, which i discovered my husband had uploaded about 1500 pictures of a friends wedding. so once i got rid of those pictures, the space issue was resolved.

After being completely frustrated, and a lot of research, I read to "copy over" my old user profile files from under "documents and settings" to the new profile i created.. which I did. I also did a disk clean up and defrag.. and evidently have deleted a bunch of things i shouldn't have. I never actually recovered the user profile.. the weird thing is... is that the picture i had chosen associated with the old profile i'm trying to recover.. was recovered. totally weird voo doo stuff going on in the background i guess. so now i want to scream. i guess i can delete everything.. i've backed up all the stuff that was under my documents. so no big deal, however it's the applications that i'm worried about. when doing the non destructive restore, it took me back to factory settings.. so my norton 2007 internet security was replaced with the 60 day trial version of 2006 that came with the PC (which was purchased in december 2006 and in march 2007 i got some freaky virus and the geek squad folks did a destructive recovery then.. june i got an other virus, best buy fixed it and now i'm here.... i hate this computer - HP dv6135nr XP media)

oh yeah when talking to the hp tech and they asked me about my OS, i told them that the sticker on the bottom of my notebook says XP media 2005 and when right clicking on my computer and going to information, it shows xp media 2002, and even weirder, in my help and support thingie.. it shows xp professional.. so i have no clue what OS i have i guess xp media/professional.. i don't know the difference.

so longstory.. i'm currently running a scan to find what files i've deleted.. however also read that by "undeleting" these things can make my issue worse. Is it possible to recover a "reovery point" that you cannot access through the reover manager??? I know that i had a recovery point at the end of october, however, its not there when going through the recovery manager and when doing the thing in safe mode when you "return to a previous state" or whatever it's called when the last time it worked right.. that didn't go back to the time when my old profile existed.

I can't believe that all of this stemmed from too many jpgs on my computer. i seriously burst into tears :cry yesterday trying to fix this and today.. i'm not even trying anymore.. looking for help..please god someone help me.:confused

I trust that these details may be somewhat helpful in attempts to resolve this. I certainly appreciate all the help I can receive from those more technical experts than myself.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds