The Torn-Up Credit Card Application

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Matacumbie, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

2. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

If you're really paranoid, not only will you get a shredder, but you'll empty it into two different bins. ;)

(I have a shredder, and have had one for years. It only makes sense.)

3. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

And if you're triple paranoid, you'll wonder who's been checking your mailbox besides yourself. Here in Memphis area (and lots of others, I'd assume) crooks routinely check what's in the mailboxes and don't even need the scotch tape.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Yeah, I have a shedder. Never thought about dumping it in two different places. Hmmmmm.

Steve

5. G.T.

Here in the U.S., you can "opt out" of unsolicited credit card applications. Dial 1-888-5-OPTOUT, select option 2 to skip a message about an internet email (about a spam hoax that was circulating), select option 2 again to opt out of mailings PERMANENTLY (option 1 only cancels you for 2 years), and follow the prompts to enter your phone number, name, zip code, address, and social security number.

This service is run jointly by the 4 credit reporting companies, and is legitimate.

If you move, you'll have to do it again, but it will cut down on your junk mail, and this is dangerous junk mail.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

That's some good information G.T. :)

It's very dangerous junk.

Steve

7. G.T.

Slight correction. Some of the menu items have changed a bit, but it's easy to follow the prompts.

8. N5638J

N5638J Guest

we got a shredder but never use it because if we get something like that i just simply take it out to the burn pile with the rest of the trash :p
    Hey G.T. hows it been going? any good news? if ya dont wanna post it just pm me thats what its for ;)

9. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Just a question about the optout. My daughter, who is handicapped, receives credit card apps. all the time. BUT, in different last names and spellings. Do I have to enter each different name whenever she gets one of these?
    I handle her finances, and would never get her a credit card.

10. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I'm a Veteran (well still active duty) who got a letter from the VA last week telling me I'm one of the 27.5 million plus people who's info was stolen on the laptop that Dip$#!t took home. So I have taken a few steps to protect myself. One of which it to Call 1-888-5OPTOUT, provide your info and get on the list to keep the credit card companies from mailing you those offers in the first place. I get about 5 a week... ticking time bombs.

11. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i have discovered the absolute cure to all this maddness. max out all your credit cards. throw away the requests for payment. they will stop. you will never have to fear identity theft again. :)

12. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

laurieB, love that philosophy.
    Reminds me of a quote ;) from Robert Strapp in the Denver Mountain news.

"If your account with a credit card company gets screwed up,
    do not try to unsnarl it.

It's simpler just to move away and start a new lfe
    under an assumed name."

Bazza

===

13. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I'm hoping that works better than filing for bankruptcy. ;) Less than six months after I filed, when I was still almost four years from paying it off, I started getting pre-approved credit card applications from the bank which held one of the cards IN the bankruptcy proceeding.

14. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i had two, with a $500 limit on each. silly people obviously didnt realise i was poor. maxed them both immediately. the $1000 very quickly doubled in interest. once they had done that, they left me alone. that was 7 yrs ago, and i havnt heard from them since! and no more offers of free money either. :)

15. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Another good reason for an answering machine to screen out the collection agency calls:mad: :mad: :mad:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds