screen upside down and keyboard/mouse unresponsive

Discussion in 'Software' started by sakoyo, Jun 3, 2011.

1. sakoyo

sakoyo Private E-2

I was using my laptop the other day, when all of a sudden the screen got rotated 180 degrees and the keyboard/touchpad became unresponsive. I restarted the computer, and the keyboard stops working as soon as Windows starts to load. I'm able to get to the bios screen when the motherboard splash page comes up and can move through the bios. After the motherboard splash page, it asks if I want to start in safe mode or normal mode since I had to do a force shutdown and that's when the keyboard stops working, I'm not even able to go through the safe mode/normal mode options. I tried running the AVG antivirus boot scanner from my flash drive and it didn't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

2. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

On some laptops, there's a little toggle on/off button around the touchpad area of the laptop.

[​IMG]

Perhaps you have it turned off at the moment.

Also, do you have a USB Keyboard laying around that you can try?

3. thisisu

As far as the upside down screen.. If you're still getting it.. Try the following:

In Control Panel>Display>Settings tab>Advanced button, look for settings relating to display or screen position.

Newer video cards have the capability to flip the display 90 and 180 degrees for use with LCD screens that can be rotated.

4. sakoyo

sakoyo Private E-2

The touchpad is turned on. I also tried toggling it on/off. Unfortunately, I don't have a mouse. Also I can't get into the Control Panel because my keyboard/touchpad are unresponsive once Windows attempts to load.

5. thisisu

which operating system are you on? you might want to try a startup repair if Vista/7, or replacing 5 config files if you're on XP.

6. sakoyo

sakoyo Private E-2

It's Windows 7. I can't do the startup repair because the keyboard dies as soon as Windows even thinks about loading even when trying to boot from the cd to try to reinstall/repair.

7. thisisu

my guess is you're going to have to do some offline registry editing, but you're either going to need 1) another working computer to hook up your laptop hdd as a slave or 2) a working cd-rom drive/way to boot off CD on your current pc

sorry wish there was more i could do ..

8. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

For upside down screen: CTRL ALT and arrow keys to rotate screen back to normal.

9. DJDream

DJDream Private E-2

What is the make and model of your laptop?

One of mine is Toshiba Satellite R10 which doubles as a tablet... there is a button I press to rotate the screen but can also be accessed via a software called rotation utility..

could be an accessibility setting too depending on your video driver...
    Try pressing Ctrl, Alt and then any of the four arrow keys (ie: Ctrl-Alt+Down will rotate screen by 180 degrees)

10. SolitarySue

SolitarySue Private E-2

I have this same exact problem. I got my screen rightside up by going into the control panel using a mouse i connected. but i still can't get the touchpad to work. the keyboard works if i tweak the settings a little bit. but once i restart windows the keyboard stops working again. i tried system restore but all points come up with errors. even in safe mode, which i can only get to by going through msconfig boot settings.

Has anyone been able to fix this issue or know what causes it? Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds