PC starts then shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robbie102, Nov 22, 2007.

1. robbie102

robbie102 Private E-2

Hi, i have a "Pentium 4" PC which when i start runs through the BIOS opens the Windows Splash with the moving bar underneath it, the windows splash goes off after about 7secs and the screen goes blank and then after about ten secs more the monitor powers down, but the PC still as power (all fans are running). I have tested PSU and Ram from another PC and this does not improve the situation? the harddrive is a western digital and i have downloaded the diagnostic tool from them for this but it will not run? would be grateful of some help... cheers Robbie

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Possible that the PC is trying to boot into a non-sopported video mode. Try booting into Safe Mode as that uses a plain simple VGA Mode. If that works you can then reload your video drivers.

3. robbie102

robbie102 Private E-2

Thanks Yargwel, should have said that is one of first things i tried but i can't access Safe Boot? when i press F8 at start up it just takes me to a screen asking me where i want to Boot from (hard-drive or CD Rom)all it seems to want to do is as i described in first post, it certainly is a teaser : ) cheers

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Sounds like the OS is crashed ....you should probably do a repair install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds