Anybody checked out the latest Zone Alarm (4.5.538)?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wisewiz, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Link to Latest ZA (Free) on MajorGeeks

Has anybody checked to see whether the latest (a very minor update) has an ON/OFF switch for the Update-Checker yet?
    A little history:
    The latest versions of Zone Alarm Pro, Plus, and Free all came with automatic update checking built in, with no way to turn it off. The workaround proposed by the ZA site resulted in an annoying permission popup on every boot, or more frequuently.

There was a huge scream of protest from the advanced users, and ZA officially responded by saying that the next version would have a switch, and ZA would never take away control of the update-checker again.

Meanwhile, advanced users discovered a quick and easy registry edit that puts control back in the hands of the user. The details are here:
    http://66.98.158.200/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24276
    So, is the switch for automatic/manual update-checking in the latest edition??

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Well the Registry edit you posted does work in this version aswell.

but If you mean this option Wise?

3. Wisewiz

Halo, ma man, I'm not sure watcher sayin here.

Was the choice in your posted IMAGE present in the UNtweaked version 4.5.538,
    OR
    Did that choice APPEAR when you did the reg tweak?

(Readers of this thread may recall that in the original 4.5.500 versions of ZA-Pro, -Plus, and -Free, the text said
    "Automatic updates are enabled for your own protection" and there was no choice...
    and the after-tweak text said
    "Update checks have been set to manual." and there was no choice.)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Sorry mate I'm haveing a bit of a brain dead day ( worked yesterday and still traumatised )

yes it was present before the tweak as I just did fresh install to check..... it comes set to Auto then when you click manual a popup box says "NOT Recomended etc etc" click to remove the popup and its set like in the picture.

and yes untweaked 4.5.538

5. redskydawning

redskydawning Private E-2

I installed the latest and now have the option of "Manual" or "Automatic" updates. I have mine set at manual and have not been bothered by any popup. I have not used the tweak you mentioned in your previous posting.

I think they have listened and responded to their customer's concerns :)

6. Wisewiz

Thanks, Halo and Redsky! :D

That's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear, er ... see. :cool:

Now I can recommend ZoneAlarm Free, Pro, and Plus to my clients again, without having to tweak their registries -- when I've already advised them to set ALL of their updateable programs to manual-checking-on-demand, not auto-checking, so that they're in control of their online time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds