Network Controller Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lanfear, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Lanfear

Lanfear Private First Class

Let's just strat out by saying that I hate working on relative's rigs. Not fun. Anyway, My moms hp a1247c, which has been trouble ever since she bought it, died again. Warranty company sent someone out to replace both the MB and HD. I go over tonight for dinner and she tells me that she can't connect to the internet. Sure enough she can't. The only listed network controller found in device manager is the FW port, which is useless. The on board NIC is not present. Do a scan for hardware... no joy. Also in device manager there is one item under other devices that says it needs a driver. PCI simple comm. controller. problem being that there is no connection to get to the internet to DL and install the driver. Yet I digress. It's my understanding that the mssing driver actually has nothing to do w/ the fact that the onboard NIC isn't even being detected. Now am I correct in assuming that the MB the contracted dumbass put in is more than likely defective? And if it is would it be in my best interest to just install one of the PCI NIC cards that I have laying around?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

On board NIC enabled in BIOS?

3. Lanfear

myup, first thing I checked

4. Lanfear

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds