How to recover overwritten files.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Miso Drakos, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Miso Drakos

Miso Drakos Private E-2

Hi i need help or advice i have overwritten a file without making a backup of it, i know its stupid of me but i'm just human after all, I would like to know is there a way to get it back or at least a software...

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    you can try this method.

Recovering a file that has been overwritten in Windows XP:

Open Windows Explorer
    Navigate to the folder where the file you would like to recover resides.
    Right Click on the file you would like to recover
    Select Properties
    Click on the “Previous Versions” tab
    Select the version you would like to restore.
    Click Restore. If you select Copy, it will prompt you for a location to restore the file to. This will allow you to retain the original in case you restore an incorrect version.

[​IMG]

3. Miso Drakos

Miso Drakos Private E-2

Thanks for replying tgell, i've tried it and it didnt work it says there are no previous versions availble...

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Its a pity Previous Versions didnt work as its a good route to finding files, so try this application in Recuva and see if it can find your file, do not recover to the same drive as the file is/was saved too as recovering to the same drive can end up with you overwriting a potentially recoverable file.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds