Odd Overheating Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shooz136, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Shooz136

Shooz136 Private E-2

All the internal components of my (old, free) Thinkcentre are running extremely hot.
    both the case fan, and power supply fan are running, and I've used SpeedFan(i think thats what it's called) to crank up the case fan to full power, but the temperatures keep rising.

the components become too hot to touch, especially the hard drive, which struck me as odd.

this is a recent development, i used to be able to leave it on indefinitely with no worries of overheating. it recently crashed (i wasn't there, don't know how it happened) and i had to reset the bios, and i lost win.com but i was able to fix that. i am not sure if the crash was caused by the overheating, or if the crash actually caused the overheating.

any suggestions?

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Have you cleaned the dust bunnies out of it lately?

That is the first thing I would do.

E

3. Shooz136

Shooz136 Private E-2

the computer is completely dust free.
    i would just get a new fan and heatsink, but i don't think that is the problem, as the computer never had problems before.

-can bios settings or other system settings effect voltage or something that would increase heat?

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yes, depending on the motherboard and BIOS you can change all kinds of voltages. Is the computer overclocked or running at stock settings?

E

5. Shooz136

Shooz136 Private E-2

the computer is running completely stock, unless something was accidentally changed. the bios is pretty crappy, not much in the way of voltages

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds