Help flashing Bios

Discussion in 'Software' started by fasterboy, Mar 1, 2004.

1. fasterboy

fasterboy Private E-2

Hope this is in the correct topic, sorry not exactly sure but feel free to shift it moderators.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8IHXP (850E chipset P4)
    Windows XP home
    1g rambus memory

Im wanting to update my Bios Version, as im moving to install the 3.06G HT proccessor, upgrading my present 2G job; and from what I read on the Gigabyte site I need the "F8" bios version.

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8IHXP%20(Rev%202.1).htm

The trouble is, this is my current bios:
    "American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 28/05/2002"

Gigabyte use numbers such as "F4" etc... how do I know what the equivelant in Gigabytes ones are? They say not to jump straight to the latest but to update in 2 or 3 stages... Should I start from scratch and install one by one all of their bios updates starting from the F3? or just go straight to the latest F8 2003/3/21? (bios_8ihxp_f8.exe)

Also, am I correct in updating the Bios before actually installing the cpu?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers
    Paul

2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

ok yes you want to update before installing the cpu

just having a quick look and reading the documentation of the q flash utility
    its safe to jump from like F1 to F4 then F4 to F8 ETC ETC
    seeing as F8 is the newest one you want and the deate of yours i would follow Gigabytes reccomendation and flash to F4 first and then flash to F8

so even if yours was F1 (which i dont think it is) jumps of four are perfectly acceptable

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

What you will need is Gigabytes @Bios writer software as its the safest way to flash that board ( I have one at present ) you are fairly safe in flashing that Mobo as you have a dual bios setup so you only flash the main bios and leave the backup as the original.. this is all done via the windows GUI until the app reboots the computer.

The latest @Bios writer is version 108t and the last bios is AFAIK F8 ( I'm on that F8 bios currently )

and yes follow the Generals advice above if you have lower bios than F4 flash to F4 before F8...... F6 can upset the onboard sound and Nec USB2.0... F7 was not much good either if I remember.

If you dont have the @bios writer soft on your Driver CD let me know and I will email it.

4. fasterboy

fasterboy Private E-2

:cool:

Thanks peoples!

I have flashed the Bios, and am still using the PC so thats gotta be a good sign...

I will now proceed to install my new CPU... hehe

Paul

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Thats good news and good luck with the rest of the install :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds