external motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chiv, May 18, 2005.

1. chiv

chiv Private E-2

I have a working Evesham Technology Quest computer (Athlon, XPSP2) and a "dead Protek (Pentium II, Windows ME) with a PCChips M729. PCAnswers tells me I can't hook up the Quest to the hard disk in the Protek. But can I (if I can track one down) find a suitable mobo and use this to bypass the Protek mobo, transferring whatever may be necessary from the Protek mobo? I really don't like the idea of stripping out the Protek mobo. I don't particularly want to shift the Protek hard disk (only 6.4 gigs) to work as a slave to the Quest hard disk (what I had hoped was that I could drive the Protek HD from the Questmobo, but, as I said, PCA tells me I can't). Grateful for any thoughts.
    Also, for background, when a mobo won't bleep (fan works) what may have been the first bit to blow? If it's the CPU, is it worth thinking of replacing it?

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Perhaps an external USB HDD enclosure would help.

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Can you not just take the HDD out of one and put it in the other? Would that not be the easiest thing to do?

As for not beeping: could mean anything. Could mean dodgey power supply, could mean the speaker has blown up. You just have no idea. You have to go through normal troubleshooting techniques to try and locate the problem.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

True, but in his post it appears that he won't be able to do this. Unless I misread his post.

5. chiv

chiv Private E-2

Many thanks. Looking at what I wrote, I reckon it could have been clearer. I don't want to get an external hard drive case since I suspect the old 6.4 gigs HD isn't worth that much - it'd just be for playing with. Ditto the Protek as a whole. But it'd be interesting to find out whether I could connect an external motherboard to the Protek, bypassing the original one still in the case.
    As for the other beepless motherboard query, what elements can have failed, how can I check them, and is there a good sequence to do the checking? Or is that rather much to ask? I find I can make XPSP2 do quite a lot of what I want, but I don't know that much about the computers themselves. What would it be good to read?

6. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Why would you want a "so called" external motherboard?? I've never heard of that, as far as using to bypass the internal motherboard in order to use the internal components!!?? You've really got me confused...I can't seem to understand why you just don't replace the motherboard inside the case with whatever??

I don't mean to be rude (somebody please clarify if i'm the only one in left field here), but...do REALLY understand what the motherboard is and what it's purpose is...or is there a chance you are getting it confused with something else??

Please clarify!!!!

Roger

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'm quite confused also. Still would like to know why you can't take the old hard drive out of the bad computer and put it in the working computer as a secondary device.

8. chiv

chiv Private E-2

Thanks, guys. What puzzles me is why you're puzzled! All I want to find out is whether it's feasible to put a new motherboard outside a computer and connect it back in to all that the old dead mobo had been fitted to. What I want to know is whether you can. Similarly, I wanted to know whether there is a way to connect a live computer to the hard disk in another one without removing the latter. I know I can replace a mobo. I know I can put a hard disk alongside anothr in the same computer. I just don't want to. It's what is known as scientific exploration, or what makes discoveries :) possible! If that doesn't grab you, tell me I'm mad, or wasting my time or something. They probably said as much to Edison et al. But thanks for being willing to try to put me right.

9. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Well, i guess you could set a different motherboard outside of the case and plug it in to the devices in the case. It would probably be safer (and not much more complicated) to completely remove the old motherboard from the case and replace it with a different one...

10. F A B Scott

F A B Scott Private E-2

I reckon it'd be easy enough to connect the hd from the old one to the new one without taking it out of the 1st one. As long as it 'll reach the cable [presumably it's the IDE type] As for the other questions.....they've been answered already I think.
    [don't forget jumpers and master/slave thingy, if you do] :)

11. chiv

chiv Private E-2

Further thanks - especially to Wyatt Earp and F A B Scott. I know nobody nensible would do what I want to try - but I do want to try. Last (I promise) question - what book can I read about how computer components work together which might help me get a grasp of how bits and pieces link up? Is there a Haynes manual on how to make a computer? Cheers.

12. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

I don't know about a book, but www.anandtech.com has a lot of technical articles about how stuff works in modern day computers :)

13. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

As for the "Hayne's" manual on PC's, I would recommend "Upgrading and Repairing PC's" by Scott Mueller. You should be able to find this at your local book store. :)

14. F A B Scott

F A B Scott Private E-2

15. zimpal

zimpal Private First Class

Motherboards are mounted so as to isolate their zillions of uninsulated circuit componants from 'ground' or short circuit. Propping or dangling a mobo outside it's designed position creates countless difficulties. Any voltage potential between isolated 'grounds' could damage componants or cause the system to simply not work. IDE ribbon cables are often hard enough to position in master / slave uses in a 'normal' computer. I've heard the maximum length of these cables must be 18" or less. A floppy drive cable may end up too short. A CD-to-mobo or CD-to-sound card audio cable may end up too short. The power supply-to-mobo cable bundle will almost certainly be too short. Etc., etc., etc.

16. F A B Scott

F A B Scott Private E-2

I've just tried it without removing hardware or mobos...as long as the two computers are side by side there's enough length in the wires. Well there is with mine anyway.
    It goes without saying you've got to be careful in the electricity department. And if you are doing it in an experimental situation with old or older parts, there's nothing much to lose.
    Good luck. :)

ps.zimpal. some repair techs I know test mobos lying on a flat, static free table [the mobos not the techs :D ] and plug things into them one by one. On the whole I agree with you though, it's not advisable unless you know what you're doing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds