Unstable internet when other network users have heavy internet traffic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scoobysix, Mar 26, 2006.

1. scoobysix

scoobysix Private E-2

I've got 1 PC and 3 laptops hooked up to a wireless network at home via a wireless modem router.

The problem is, one of the laptops keeps experiencing unstable internet connection, frequently getting cut off and reconnecting. This only happens when other users on the network are downloading/uploading a fair bit of traffic, when the other network users aren't doing anything, the laptop has no problems whatsoever. Having said that, the laptop's wireless signal strength shows up as "excellent" all the time.

In order to try and help the situation, I've tried to tweak with the laptop's wifi settings, as well as the router. Steps I've taken:
    • Used DHCP to assign static IP addresses to each network user
    • Turned radio signal strength to maximum for both router and wifi adaptor
    Whenever the connection drops, the laptop is unable to access the network at all. Please help if you can, this is driving my gf nuts as she's doing her honours thesis at the moment and the internet problem is helping to add to her insanity (and subsequently mine!)

The rest of the PCs and laptops have no problems whatsoever.

Cheers,
    Michael

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

It is not Wireless problem.

I doubt that there is any thing you can do about it.

Install a Cable/DSL Router that is Qos capable and assign bandwitdh to each computer.

:)

3. scoobysix

scoobysix Private E-2

I have a DLINK G604T, I don't think it is QoS capable? Damn...

4. scoobysix

scoobysix Private E-2

The problems only started a few weeks ago, when the laptop was moved farther away from the router (about 20m). Previously when the laptop was in the same room as the router, there were no problems whatsoever.

Would it help if I disable the integrated wifi on the laptop, and purchase a seperate wireless adaptor for it?

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

So based on your current information it does seem to be a Wireless problem.

Placing the Laptop 20m away probably hindered the quality of the signal.

Strong Signal? See this, What the Signal Strength Bars mean in Wireless hardware?

The best Method to Extend Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific Envioroment.
    Look at these pages they describe most of the options that are within the means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you envioroment best.

Link to: Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network.

Link to: Wirelessly Bridging Home / SOHO Network.

Link to: Hi Gain Antenna for Entry Level Wireless.

6. scoobysix

scoobysix Private E-2

[​IMG]

Here is a crude illustration on the location of the laptop and router. Is this a poor placement? I have another laptop in another room which is around the same distance away in the other direction but with probably half the number of walls in between, there have been no problems with that laptop.

It would be cheaper to purchase another wireless adaptor for the laptop than to purchase another access point. I cannot put up any antennae as I'm in a rented property and the landlord is a bit of a prick :(

I have used Netstumbler to have a look at the SNR, but honestly I'm not too sure how to interprete the figures shown - high figures = better SNR or lower figures = better SNR? In any case, I noticed my neighbour's wireless network is on the same channel as I am, so I've switched to another channel just to be on the safe side.

What else can I do?

Thanks,
    Michael

7. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Seeing your diagram I am not surprised. 60’ few walls and area of Water. The space is probably high on Water molecules from the rooms in between. 2.4GHz is the Microwave range and it is absorbed by Water.

As a long Shot, you might try to get this card, and equip it with small directional Antenna pointing to the Wireless Router.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=110&categoryid=29

8. scoobysix

scoobysix Private E-2

Thanks for the info CAT5e.

Would it help if I purchased a high powered MIMO card for the laptop instead? Buffalo products aren't available where I am unfortunately, I only have access to Dlink and Netgear stuff :(

Or maybe I should upgrade my router as well...?

9. scoobysix

scoobysix Private E-2

10. scoobysix

scoobysix Private E-2

11. scoobysix

scoobysix Private E-2

Anyone?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds