Problems with Firefox

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Apr 27, 2015.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I am having two problems with Firefox (Mozilla Firefox Version 37.0.2) on a desktop PC running Windows 7 (Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1). One problem is a direct problem; I think the other is linked.

In Firefox “Options” if I select “Privacy” at the bottom is “Location Bar”. There are three check boxes that can be selected: ‘History’, ‘Bookmarks’ and ‘Open tabs’. I uncheck all three. Then I click on OK. Next time I open Firefox they are checked again. What (a) could be causing this to happen and (b) how can I stop it?

I use SpywareBlaster (Version 5.0) on my PC because of the immunisation it provides to my browser. However, if I enable all protection in SpywareBlaster the Firefox protection is disabled when I end a Firefox session. Again, my questions are (a) what can be causing this and (b) how do I solve it?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have a choice of Nothing (but I'm using FF Extended Support Release). Do you not have a selection of Nothing as a choice? In fact, Nothing is what I always choose. Of course I have Classic Theme Restorer as an addon so perhaps that continues the choice of Nothing for the location bar.

Let me do some looking
    Preferences not saved
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Preferences_not_saved

hmmm, I have never had a problem with SpywareBlaster disabling FF protection either.

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

Regarding SpywareBlaster not saving Firefox's Preferences:

In Firefox: Options>Privacy>Settings: UNTICK Site Preferences.

Then enable all protection in SpywareBlaster. That should do it.

I don't know the answer about your other problem.

4. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Not there on my version. Please see attached image.

Attached Files:

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

Ah, now I see. Try to change the *do not remember history* temporarily to change the setting and then revert back to private mode...... * Is it private mode you are using?

This is where you can untick the Site Preferences box when in *normal* mode.

Attached Files:

6. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

@oma: Thank you! I just did what you recommended. I then opened SpywareBlaster and none of the protection for FF was disabled. I shall now have to do this on my other machines. They have the same issue and FF has the same settings.

7. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I attach an image and as you can see I don't have the option of Nothing.:confused

Attached Files:

8. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I might have found a solution to my other problem. I kept unticking those boxes to no avail. Even if I ticked them. Did nothing else. Re-opened Options and they'd have become ticked again.

I tried the following and it seems to have worked. I cleared all history prior to unticking the boxes. Then I unticked them. They seem to be remaining unticked.

If I don't post again both problems remain resolved and the solutions are in this thread.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds