Linux/Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software' started by Coffee Guy, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Private E-2

Hi all. Without burning a few dvd's I want to ask anyone if they know of which OS let's you put the desktop icons in the quick launch/taskbar ? Also changes the wallpaper on a start up? Have tried Linux Mint, Ubuntu 15.04 and some others. A while back I had Xubuntu 12.4 that was fine for me until I did all the updating. I also tried to use Cortina, Wally, can't remember the other guy. Couldn't get either one to work. Don't do too much on the computer- no playing games- just go to besthomepageever to catch up on the news, then off to your site to see if anyone has the kind of trouble I get fooling around with this computer. Thanks to all for your help. Frank

2. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Not sure exactly what you mean by quick launch/taskbar, as not every distro has one, but those that do have one will allow you to add icons of your choosing to the launcher/dock. But even distros that do NOT have one will allow you to add one of your choosing, such as Cairo Dock, AWN (Avant Window Navigator), Plank, etc...

If you're looking to pin icons to your desktop for easy access/quick launch (like WinXP or Win7), pretty much any distro will allow that with a right click and "pin to desktop" option, nearly identical to Windows functionality. I have been a hard-core full-time Linux user since 2009 and I have never heard of Cortina or Wally, so I can only conclude they were obscure and poorly supported distros? Xubuntu 12.04 is a fine distro, but I have minimal experience with it. What was your issue after "all the updating"? Ubuntus are known for their polish, stability, and usability, so I'd like to consider your experienced issues. Based on nothing more than your described usage, I would recommend a simple & lightweight OS, such as Lubuntu:

http://lubuntu.net/

If you want cutting edge, download the 15.04 version. If you want long-term support, stability, and polish, stick with the LTS (long term support) version of 14.04, supported through April 2019.

I might also recommend my own personal remix of Lubuntu, called XPubuntu, which is just a 32-bit version of Lubuntu 14.04 designed to look, feel, and act like WinXP for those who prefer the familiarity of WinXP. I have also added a hidden quick launcher dock for frequently used programs. Just hover a mouse over the left edge and it appears. It can be easily modified to include icons of your preference. You can check it out here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xpubuntu/?source=navbar

As far as changing the wallpaper on startup, do you mean randomly, without any human prompting? The only distro that I know that does that out of the box is LXLE. LXLE is a very heavily customized version of Lubuntu, with its own preferred set of programs, which are very much a "kitchen sink" mentality. While Lubuntu provides a basic set of programs of functionality and wants you to download/add anything you think is missing, LXLE provides a program for everything. While you may or may not wish to download alternative software, you won't NEED to. LXLE is also quite unique in that it provides 4 different desktop "paradigms", including Windows, Mac, Gnome, & Unity, with each paradigm resembling that layout. I believe it defaults to Windows paradigm, if you do nothing, but you can select the alternative layouts at desktop login and it will default to your last choice until you select something different. And of course, there's the random wallpaper changer. I believe it's set on a timer and you can select the interval for random changes. Plus, LXLE has the most extensive collection of gorgeous wallpapers that I have ever seen in a single distro. You can check out LXLE here:

http://lxle.net/

LXLE is based on Lubuntu 12.04 and Lubuntu 14.04 LTS versions only, both of which are supported for 5 years, through 2017 and 2019 respectively. Since both are LTS, choose the one with the support period you prefer.

That should be plenty to get you started. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  3. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Private E-2

Hello Hedon. Well I got it all figured out. I was looking at the Distro Watch on the internet and saw Xubuntu 15.04. Well that's the one that is doing what I was looking for. Has the right click to add to panel (guess that's what they call the quick bar ) and it does change the wall paper when I start up. Trouble was when I had Xubuntu 12.04, and doing the updates I now remember there was an upgrade to Ubuntu. That was my mistake. I don't want Ubuntu, just Xubuntu. What do "they" say - measure twice, cut once, look before you leap, read before you sign, well that wasn't me then. So now I do need your help. How do I get rid of that annoying default keyring? I have it so I don't have to put in my pass word, but it keeps asking for the keyring passwaord. Thanks for your help again. Frank

4. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Private E-2

Hedon, rereading your post, don't know that correct word of it , but the XFCE in Xubuntu is the one that does what I was looking for.

5. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking Frank. Linux systems are designed from the ground up for security, from logging into a desktop, to use of certain programs, to internet access, etc...

It sounds like you have enabled "auto login" of your user account, thereby allowing anyone to access your desktop. For this reason, everytime you access a password-enabled function, i.e. internet, e-mail, etc... the "keyring" is asking you to prove that you are someone who knows that password and is, therefore, authorized to use that function. My suggestion would be to disable the automatic login and enter password at desktop login. That will cut down on most, if not all, requests for passwords/permissions.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/495957/how-to-disable-the-unlock-your-keyring-popup

6. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I understand what you meant. Ubuntu is a set of core components that comprise a "base" operating system, with Ubuntu proper using the Unity desktop environment. You can install alternative desktops on Ubuntu, such as XFCE, Mate, KDE, LXDE, etc... and replace Unity. Unity is still there underneath, just not visible because you selected another desktop environment, although you can still select Unity. Options!

Or you can select Xubuntu, which is core Ubuntu with an XFCE desktop by default; or Kubuntu, which is core Ubuntu with KDE desktop by default; or Lubuntu, which is core Ubuntu with LXDE desktop by default.

If you like Xubuntu and it does what you want the way you want it done, it's a good choice for you. Stick with it!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds