Wireless Networking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Triaxx2, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Having recently bought a laptop, I naturally wanted to use it to surf the internet. After buying enough wireless equipment for it, and the other three computers I wanted to include in the network, I have them installed and working. Mostly. I have one Desktop, running Win98, one laptop with ME, and the second laptop running XP. I can get both the laptops to detect and connect to the wireless adapter from the Desktop, but the Desktop does not connect to anything but itself.

Further more, my XP laptop does not have a functioning modem, but still tries to connect through the one that doesn't exist, rather than the networks, including one I'm certain has the proper settings. (Not mine.) Can you guys help? I have more information on specs if you need it.

2. PC Place

PC Place Private E-2

In terms of the networking issue, make sure folders are shared and all computers are under the same workgroup and click on "My Network Places" to see if they pop up... Unsure if you have to add them manually or not... Dont Use WIN98

In terms of the modem issue, delete the old modem that isn't working from DEVICE MANAGER IN SYSTEM and remove the old connection from Modems and Connections... then it should use the network's internet

3. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Don't use Win98 is good advice, but I'm stuck with it. Unfortunately, none of the computers are showing up on any of the others.

4. whicky1978

whicky1978 Staff Sergeant

I would trying unistalling or disabling the modem driver.

5. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

It's uninstalled and disabled, but I won't be able to tell if it works until Monday at the earliest.

6. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

7. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

It wasn't helpful, but it was interesting. Thanks for the link.

The computers are still connecting to each other, but aren't letting me share between them.

And the laptop refuses to connect even on a network I know it should be able to.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds