New graphics card for Computer with Integrated Graphics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MJames23, Apr 18, 2007.

1. MJames23

MJames23 Private First Class

Hi,

I was wondering whether it is possible to upgrade my video card on an older computer that has integrated graphics. I'm assuming the new card would plug into the PCI slot, but would this cause a problem since the motherboard has an Intel integrated graphics unit. This is for a desktop computer. Also, since my computer is so old (7 years), will I have hardware conflicts by installing a more modern card? I want to install a new card because I currently have a lot of trouble using an LCD monitor with my computer. The text flickers whenever the computer has to process a lot of info, for example when I import songs on Itunes. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    James

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

The older pci slots only run at 2 times, but most newer pci cards will run at 2 or 4 times, probally wont be much better than the onboard. You might have to go into setup and disable onboard if you do try to use it.

Ed

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

If you don't have an AGP slot (a usually brown slot, closest to the CPU and set back a little bit from the rear of the case), then you'll have to go with a PCI card. The main benefit would be that a PCI video card will take the graphics load off your main memory, because it has memory devoted to video built into the card. As mentioned above, you may have to disable the on board graphics in the BIOS or tell BIOS to initialize the PCI card first. Sometimes you also have to disable the on board graphics driver in the Windows device manager before you install the PCI card..... if you need any more help, feel free to post, and we'll do our best ;)

hopperdave2000

4. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

5. MJames23

Not sure about the motherboard--Cascade III or something from June 2000. Pentium III 735 MHz processor and 512 of RAM.

Thanks,
    James

6. MJames23

Here it is: My mother board is this: Cascade III GVC 810E DR742E with Integrated Comp (Millennia EX and ClientPro CT - Cascade III ).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds