RPC Server Unavailable - Can't Install Printer Drivers...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jagdpanzer, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Jagdpanzer

Jagdpanzer Private First Class

Same comp, P4 3.01Ghz, 1Gb RAM..
    Lexmark Z605 Printer.
    Windows XP, no service packs (don't ask.)

The spooler service won't start up, the drivers won't install, so all of a sudden my printer no longer functions. It used to, it worked great. Now? It's like I don't even have a printer. The Rpcss.exe no longer runs for some reason, and when I go into Run... and put in

net start rpcss

It looks like it did something... but the installation still doesn't work.

Please someone help, I get a lot of unanswered questions and I need to print some things soon!

--Josh

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

a few things to try http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

when did this start and can you in you have a close System Restore Point ( if thats is turned on ) and restore back to that point, remember to save all your important docs etc, never know as this is an unpatched PC you may have virii/spyware in which case do follow the stickies in the Spyware forums to rule those out.

3. Jagdpanzer

One problem... I'm trying to use the cleanspl.exe and it's saying it can't start the spooler service. Is there another way to clean it without going manual?

4. DavidGP

Have you tried to run it in Safe Mode? then if that doesnt work I guess you'll have to go manual.

5. Jagdpanzer

This isn't working. the manual method is just more dangerous, but it doesn't really do anything different from cleanspl.exe. I HAVE to print something, and I have no other way to do it. I need to fix this print server problem, or find a way to make the rpcss.exe start working again. I really need help here. Please.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I don't see anywhere that you went through all of the URL Halo posted. If that app doesn't work, do it manually. Its only dangerous if 1. You don't back up, or 2. You are careless, and don't follow the instructions (thats not pointed at you).

Thats your best bet.

7. Jagdpanzer

Okay, here's the deal: I tried it again. This time it seemed to work, but Windows is still not recognizing the printer.
    I used the command prompt, gave the sc setdependent whatever command, then net start spooler. Everything read successful. I installed the printer drivers without a hitch. Now, it's still not showing up in my Printers area in the Control Panel. Nothing recognizes it as even existing. So, now what?

8. DavidGP

Is the Print Spooler & RPCSS services still not running ( check its service status in services ) as those has to be running for printers to show up in the printer folder?

also as you don't have any of the service packs installed, it maybe a wise thing to also run through the guides here to rule out any malicious involvment http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

other avenues as apart from what I have posted above which has cleared the same issue on other PCs, you would be best contacting Lexmark support.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds