The problems with my desktop continue...

Discussion in 'Software' started by GuitarRon89, Oct 25, 2007.

1. GuitarRon89

GuitarRon89 Private E-2

So my brother went to boot up the old desktop the other day and he was met with the blue screen of death before it even got to the desktop. It uses XP and is about three years old now. I get the following message whenever I boot up (and you have to picture it in typical blue screen of death fashion):

I can't get past this screen in order to complete the instructions provided and it doesn't seem to work when I try to boot in safe mode, either. I'm not sure if this is some virus or an actual Windows problem, so forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. Any help is appreciated.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Have you tried booting from your XP CD? If that works then try running the recovery console.

Read this first.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you read Yargwel's link and want to run chkdsk /f as the error mentioned, when the computer is starting up, tap F8 and boot into safe mode.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds